Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

JavaScript Video controls

KittenKatja

Well-Known Coder
These questions are related to one overarching topic (the title) and I'd like them all to be answered. (not hand-picked like my previous topics)
HTML:
<html>
    <body>
        <span>Background: <input id="bg_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('bg_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('background')">Off</a></span>
        <span>Media: <input id="md_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('md_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('media')">Off</a></span>
        <span>Master: <input id="mst_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('mst_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('master')">Off</a></span>
        <audio id="media" loop controls></audio>
        <video id="background" loop muted></video>
    </body onload="loadSetup()">
</html>
JavaScript:
function setBackground(url) {document.getElementById("background").src=url;setCookie("background", url, 3);setSelected()}
function setCookie(cname, cvalue, exdays) {const d = new Date();d.setTime(d.getTime() + (exdays*24*60*60*1000));let expire = "expires="+ d.toUTCString();document.cookie = cname + "=" + cvalue + ";" + expire + ";path=/";}
function getCookie(cname, cfallback) {let n = cname + "=";let dc = decodeURIComponent(document.cookie);let ca = dc.split(';');for(let i = 0; i <ca.length; i++) {let c = ca[i];while (c.charAt(0) == ' ') {c = c.substring(i);} if (c.indexOf(n) == 0) {return c.substring(n.length, c.length);}} return cfallback;}
function loadSetup() {setBackground(getCookie("background","file:///..."))}
How do I take the video/audio controls from the video/audio elements and put them somewhere else?
I'd also like to write their values into a cookie, so I can fetch the last selected option, or the last set volume settings, and apply them on reload.
If it's possible to write a download prompt, can I also set a suggestion file name?

These questions are related to one overarching topic (the title) and I'd like them all to be answered. (not hand-picked like my previous topics)
HTML:
<html>
    <body>
        <span>Background: <input id="bg_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('bg_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('background')">Off</a></span>
        <span>Media: <input id="md_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('md_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('media')">Off</a></span>
        <span>Master: <input id="mst_volume" type="range" style="width: 300px;" onchange="setCookie('mst_volume',this.value,3)"> <a onclick="toggleSound('master')">Off</a></span>
        <audio id="media" loop controls></audio>
        <video id="background" loop muted></video>
    </body onload="loadSetup()">
</html>
JavaScript:
function setBackground(url) {document.getElementById("background").src=url;setCookie("background", url, 3);setSelected()}
function setCookie(cname, cvalue, exdays) {const d = new Date();d.setTime(d.getTime() + (exdays*24*60*60*1000));let expire = "expires="+ d.toUTCString();document.cookie = cname + "=" + cvalue + ";" + expire + ";path=/";}
function getCookie(cname, cfallback) {let n = cname + "=";let dc = decodeURIComponent(document.cookie);let ca = dc.split(';');for(let i = 0; i <ca.length; i++) {let c = ca[i];while (c.charAt(0) == ' ') {c = c.substring(i);} if (c.indexOf(n) == 0) {return c.substring(n.length, c.length);}} return cfallback;}
function loadSetup() {setBackground(getCookie("background","file:///..."))}
How do I take the video/audio controls from the video/audio elements and put them somewhere else?
I'd also like to write their values into a cookie, so I can fetch the last selected option, or the last set volume settings, and apply them on reload.
If it's possible to write a download prompt, can I also set a suggestion file name?

1) it all depends on how you, as the designer, would like the UI to look. You could go 2 main routes:
a) move each control individually,
b) group them together inside a container div and move them as a group.

In either case, you can do this by grabbing the elements by their id and/or class, and giving them the styling and positions desired. It's called CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets :D.

2) You can definitely add the values to the cookie :). All you have to do is use the same getting/setting methods you have been using to get the values from the inputs, and setting the cookie values.

3) It is possible to write a download prompt. This can be done by adding the "download" attribute to the anchor tag. Adding this, will open the save dialog. You can also suggest a download name. This can be done by giving the "download" attribute a value. Examples below:

Code:
<a href="random.png" download>Save Me!</a>

Code:
<a href="random.png" download="saveme.png">Save Me!</a>

Oh, I think you took it too literally...

I still don't know how to do what you said about the controls part.
I described it as a drag & drop, but I meant in the -IDK the word- sense.
Like, the controls are on the video pseudo-elements, but I want to use JS to have the other input-elements to have that control instead.
The best analogy would be to make a screenshot of a video player, cut the controls out and move them somewhere else. (Patrick Star Move Meme)

Oh, I think you took it too literally...

I still don't know how to do what you said about the controls part.
I described it as a drag & drop, but I meant in the -IDK the word- sense.
Like, the controls are on the video pseudo-elements, but I want to use JS to have the other input-elements to have that control instead.
The best analogy would be to make a screenshot of a video player, cut the controls out and move them somewhere else. (Patrick Star Move Meme)
I've always used jquery ui. They have some nice UI's you can customize, but as far as vanilla js goes... here's something for ya

here's the jquery ui of it

also, if I may make a suggestion.. one-liners are great for performance, but a hell to debug ;) don't be afraid to expand your functions lol. It will make it easier for everyone wanting to learn and help out

Last edited:
XD ok.. so you want those elements to control the video and audio elements, which is fine lol. So now, let's break it down a bit more. What do you want the input element to control? What would you want the anchor element to control?

Is this behavior normal? Why not troll on other websites, like on Yahoo Questions, where you can meet Storm_Surge. (maybe you were even part of Team Avolition to begin with)

I want the <input> to control the sound volume, and the <a> to control the mute button.
I want the cookie (on local) to set the <input> and <a> values, in onload.
If I have an array of <a> elements with setBackground('file:///...'), I want the last clicked <a> to be highlighted with a class "active-bg" using setSelected() and every other element in that array have their "active-bg" class removed.
I want to build proper sentences where every sentence doesn't start with "I want", like you forced me to.
Is it possible to target an element without an ID, but has a specific word inside the onclick attribute? It's cookie and setSelected() combined.

Is this behavior normal? Why not troll on other websites, like on Yahoo Questions, where you can meet Storm_Surge. (maybe you were even part of Team Avolition to begin with)

I want the <input> to control the sound volume, and the <a> to control the mute button.
If I have an array of <a> elements with setBackground('file:///...'), I want the last clicked <a> to be highlighted with a class "active-bg" using setSelected() and every other element in that array have their "active-bg" class removed.
I want to build proper sentences where every sentence doesn't start with "I want", like you forced me to.
Is it possible to target an element without an ID, but has a specific word inside the onclick attribute? It's cookie and setSelected() combined.
Please believe me when I tell you I see a lot of ambiguous specs for tasks at work. This is something you will see a lot of, depending on who is writing the specifications. I was merely asking for clarification and wanting you to see that being a bit more specific can come along way :).

In regards to your bonus lol, it is possible. So you can target an element in several ways...
a) if you want to be straight forward with it and only target 1 element, an id
b) if you want to straight forward with it, and target multiple elements, a css class name
c) if you want to ruin your life, you can use the attributes of the elements. Something to the tune of...
HTML:
<input type="text" id="myInput" class="form-input" data-foo="myFoo" />
JavaScript:
var element = document.querySelector('input[data-foo="myFoo"]');

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, this could go on for a lot longer, so Kitten are you talking about the three controls labeled Background, Media, and Master
or the two controls under the video screen, the play/pause, and the volume?

If it's the first group of three then what do they control?

When it comes to your specification
Code:
You can go a few ways with it.

a) If you are never removing items from the array, or swapping items in the array, what you can do is get the selected element, iterate through the array, and for each element that doesn't match the selected element, remove the desired css class.

b) going along with the thought of never changing the array, you could also save off the index of the selected element, iterate through the array, and remove the class for the elements not in the index.

c) if you are changing the array, then safest bet is to use similar functionality as (a)

in all cases, you're going to have to iterate through the array

Maybe "array" wasn't the correct word to be used; ["item1","item2"] wasn't meant.
HTML:
<div id="array">
<a onclick="setBackground('file:///...')">Item1</a>
<a onclick="setBackground('file:///...')">item2</a>
</div>

As far as the volume control is concerned, you can give the input a type of range, and it will act as a slider.
Code:
  <input type="range" id="volumeSlider" name="volume-slider" min="0" max="100" value="90" step="10">
see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/range
This is giving me the tools to actually get a value out of the range input, but I still don't know how to apply it to the <video>/<audio> audio volume controls.
HTML:
<input id="bg_volume" type="range" min="0" max="100" step="1" value="100" oninput="setVolume('background')">
JavaScript:
function setVolume(ele) {let v = this.value * (document.getElementById('mst_volume').value / 100);document.getElementById(ele)/*idk what to write here*/ = v}

You can use the play() and pause() functions to play and pause a video. To change the volume, use the volume property.
HTML:
<video id="video">
  <source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

<button onclick="play()">Play</button>
<button onclick="pause()">Pause</button>
<button onclick="mute()">Mute</button>
<input type="range" min="0" max="1" step="0.1" onchange="changeVolume()">
JavaScript:
function play() {
  document.getElementById("video").play();
}

function pause() {
  document.getElementById("video").pause();
}

function mute() {
  document.getElementById("video").volume = 0;
}

function changeVolume() {
  document.getElementById("video").volume = document.getElementById("volume").value;
}

Check this link: https://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/HTML5_video_and_JavaScript

Last edited:
My head is breaking from the code not working and rewriting until it does something at all.
HTML:
<html>
    <body>
        <video id="background_blur"></video>
        <video id="background"></video>
        <video id="view_video" class="media"></video>
        <audio id="view_audio" class="media" style="height: 54px;"></audio>
        <image id="view_pic" class="media"></image>
        <div id="div">
            <span title="Background"><input id="bg_volume" type="range" min="0" max="1" step="0.05" value="1" onchange="setVolume('background',this.value)"><a id="bg_sound" onclick="toggleSound('background','bg_volume')">On</a></span>
            <span title="Media"><input id="md_volume" type="range" min="0" max="1" step="0.05" value="1" onchange="let a = this.value * document.getElementById('mst_volume').value;setVolume('view_video',a);setVolume('view_audio',a)"><a id="md_sound" onclick="toggleSound('view_video');toggleSound('view_audio')">Off</a></span>
            <span title="Master"><input id="mst_volume" type="range" min="0" max="1" step="0.05" value="1"><a id="mst_sound">On</a></span>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>
CSS:
body>[id*="background"] {position: fixed;transform: translate(-50%, -50%);left: 50%;top: 50%;height: 100%;width: auto;}
#background_blur {height: auto;width: 100%;filter: blur(20px);}
#div {width: fit-content;height: fit-content;display: flex;flex-direction: row;gap: 10px;justify-content: space-between;position: fixed;overflow-y: scroll}
.media {display: none;position: absolute;width: 300px;height: auto;left: calc(100% - 300px);margin-left: -5px;margin-top: 5px;opacity: .5;transition: opacity .3s cubic-bezier(.5,.5,.5,.5);}
.media:hover {opacity: 1;}
JavaScript:
function setVolume(a,b) {if(document.getElementById('mst_sound').innerHTML == "On"){document.getElementById(a).volume = b}}
function toggleSound(a,b) {switch(document.getElementById(a).volume == 0){case false:setVolume(a,0);this.innerHTML = "Off";break;case true:let c = b * document.getElementById('mst_volume').value;setVolume(a,c);this.innerHTML = "On"}}
Error: "Uncaught TypeError: Failed to set the 'volume' property on 'HTMLMediaElement': The provided double value is non-finite. at setVolume (redacted.js:15:119) at toggleSound (redacted.js:16:220) at HTMLAnchorElement.onclick (redacted.htm:367:221)"

Back
Top Bottom