Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Answered What happens when selling outside WCT?

JosiahMaybe

Gold Coder
Okay so I found WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) protects copyrighted works from specific countries in that set of countries and this applies to code. What happens if copyrighted code is distributed outside WCT? Is there legal stuff or is it like free for all to use in and maybe out of those countries by redistribution? Open source is like who cares for this but proprietary, what happens?

Could people lose monopolies of their own code? Probably a country specific thing but what are best and worst case scenarios? This is why I don't just trust customers and use navigator.geolocation. I need to know they are citizens of correct places. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about that. X E.

Okay so I found WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) protects copyrighted works from specific countries in that set of countries and this applies to code. What happens if copyrighted code is distributed outside WCT? Is there legal stuff or is it like free for all to use in and maybe out of those countries by redistribution? Open source is like who cares for this but proprietary, what happens?

Could people lose monopolies of their own code? Probably a country specific thing but what are best and worst case scenarios? This is why I don't just trust customers and use navigator.geolocation. I need to know they are citizens of correct places. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about that. X E.
I mean...not that hard to arrive to the ultimate conclusion: If you're selling copyrighted anything that you yourself don't have the authority nor the proper credentials to even sell, well isn't that just piracy? Also, unfortunately there is no way for you to determine whether or not a user lives in the location their user agent is claiming without going down a spyware snd illegal path...so you're stuck there bud

It would be with like me owning copyright and selling with that. I know it is piracy but based on which country, how bad is unregulated piracy allowance? navigator.geolocation seems to be better than nothing as at least they must be in a country, something some countries may not allow. I would be with that country for taxes, I assume it is a crime some places but not all to lie about taxes like that. What is like my worst case scenario with that?

I understand in WCT there are probably things preventing reselling copyrighted stuff without proper permission but why not just modify some and claim as their own? I guess like my question is how much is piracy regulated outside WCT and how can that affect in WCT? Assume it is with me selling stuff I own copyright of starting and staying in WCT normally. X E.

It would be with like me owning copyright and selling with that. I know it is piracy but based on which country, how bad is unregulated piracy allowance? navigator.geolocation seems to be better than nothing as at least they must be in a country, something some countries may not allow. I would be with that country for taxes, I assume it is a crime some places but not all to lie about taxes like that. What is like my worst case scenario with that?

I understand in WCT there are probably things preventing reselling copyrighted stuff without proper permission but why not just modify some and claim as their own? I guess like my question is how much is piracy regulated outside WCT and how can that affect in WCT? Assume it is with me selling stuff I own copyright of starting and staying in WCT normally. X E.
You are walking a very fine line there... tread with extreme caution

Code:
I understand in WCT there are probably things preventing reselling copyrighted stuff without proper permission but why not just modify some and claim as their own?

Unless you are the owner of the entire software, or have explicit and proper permissions to modify and resell... modifying anything for resell is still illegal...hence the "anti piracy laws".

Are there anti-piracy laws or treaties in all jurisdictions? I understand there are some but how is this enforced if it is everywhere? If it is everywhere, what is to keep say Pakistan from saying like not our laws, use freely in that country if it gets to them? There are criminals out there and hence some things need to have treaties and law enforcement but what law is there to prevent like I mention in non-WCT countries?

I would be creator, copyright owner, and like proprietor of like my code so what "fine line" are you referring to? What I am asking about is what prevents criminal or in some cases not criminal because there is no law or treaty other than me people from reselling or reusing without permission outside WCT? I am with USA if it helps. Can you find any anti-piracy laws or treaties other than WCT and Berne Convention? So far I just can't find laws or treaties about copyrighted code outside WCT so can anyone find that? It is not just Pakistan, places like main China (Not Hong Kong) and others are not in WCT. I understand many countries are in WCT but what about non-WCT countries? X E.

Are there anti-piracy laws or treaties in all jurisdictions? I understand there are some but how is this enforced if it is everywhere? If it is everywhere, what is to keep say Pakistan from saying like not our laws, use freely in that country if it gets to them? There are criminals out there and hence some things need to have treaties and law enforcement but what law is there to prevent like I mention in non-WCT countries?

I would be creator, copyright owner, and like proprietor of like my code so what "fine line" are you referring to? What I am asking about is what prevents criminal or in some cases not criminal because there is no law or treaty other than me people from reselling or reusing without permission outside WCT? I am with USA if it helps. Can you find any anti-piracy laws or treaties other than WCT and Berne Convention? So far I just can't find laws or treaties about copyrighted code outside WCT so can anyone find that? It is not just Pakistan, places like main China (Not Hong Kong) and others are not in WCT. I understand many countries are in WCT but what about non-WCT countries?

To my knowledge, you would be directly responsible regardless of country wct involvement, should your software be used for malicious intent, or should your software be illegally modified without proper permissions.

To my knowledge, you would be directly responsible regardless of country wct involvement, should your software be used for malicious intent, or should your software be illegally modified without proper permissions.
Speaking of... Just a friendly reminder: your questions here on this post are raising some very important red flags. Tread with caution

Sorry, I should be more thorough, yes there are laws, but finding for all jurisdictions is a hassle, anyway, I do like my research and probably some form of legal copyright stuff most places. I assume international stuff like this has been tried before, lots of revenue is probably not just free, wars and other resolutions can happen and I should do all like my own research first. Thanks for trying to help. X E.

Great, not all have copyright protection according to this article.

What are people supposed to do if copyrighted material is outside areas where piracy is prohibited? My business and theirs I know but this affects all coders. I also found TRIPS is another copyright protection. Still researching but according to their map almost all countries are in it. Important stuff for all coders, no need to do any research for me, but still, some countries do not have copyright protections for out of country maybe. Few if any but be careful.

Hope this helps someone else, I may need to do more research and no need to try to help me. Sorry for anything wrong for Code Forum here. X E.

Back
Top Bottom