Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Python What is the difference between GET vs POST vs PUT? Mainly POST vs PUT?

shivajikobardan

Legendary Coder
First of all I am not learning this currently from web development Point of view. So I think I don’t need the extreme level of understanding. I am studying this in a topic called “HTTP protocol”. And in my opinion, I need to learn enough to write what it does in exam paper.

It is so confusing in internet. I can’t explain enough. Firstly I was just confused between PUT and POST. But later someone started to tell me that you could use GET instead of these two in submitting form. That got me confused to next level.

What I have already understood(be it wrong or right I am not sure).

GET-: It helps to retrieve the file indicated by URL in request line from server.

PUT and POST seems same thing to me.

PUT places data in body to the URL in request line.
POST has no such definitions anywhere in books or internet. And it is generalized as “POST is used to submit form data”.
But the gist of these two seems similar ie post data to server. What’s the difference?

And there are like 6,670,000,000 results in google.
But I don’t know how stupid I am to not get this.Most articles in internet are copied from each other and written pretty unprofessionally. I am not very smart. I mean smart in the sense that one who can understand anything taught by anyone and doesn’t need that clarity. I need something very simplified to understand and I don’t find it at least till now.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/630453/what-is-the-difference-between-post-and-put-in-http
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ference-between-a-post-and-a-put-http-request

These are perhaps the only reputable answers about this but I find them very confusing.

They say idemptotencyy is there in some and not in other. But I want their basic difference in working.(PUT is idempotent).
Idempotent means you can keep repeating the same thing again and again but the final result will be the same as the initial result that happened when you did that thing for the first time.

Is this the only difference between POST and PUT working and is their definition same?
Another thing that I am seeing is PUT keeps data to be sent in URL whereas POST doesn’t do it. How do we know about it? I can’t see any information that shows this thing practically. (They say while googling you use PUT so that you can visit that page again as well.) But IDK how to explain, I don’t know how.
Just tell me the difference between PUT and POST in terms of real working difference, Like how they work. Thanks for the information.

GET: Nothing on the server is changed - you are simply getting a resource from the server.
POST: Updates a resource on the server - it is not idempotent. The outcome may not be the same each time.
PUT: Puts a resource on the server - completely replacing whatever was there before with the new content. This means it is idempotent. For example, `x=1` will always mean x equals 1, so it is also idempotent. You can put a resource, not effected by whether it previously existed or not.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom