Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What OS is best for programming/coding?

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Code Plus
Company Plus
Just curious what's the best operating system to code on. I'm currently using both Windows 10 and Parrot Security OS. I like Parrot Security OS a lot due to its large amount of tools it provides such as like pen testing tools to IDE and they're mostly free.

What's your thoughts and suggestions?

(Old Thread, I know but may as well revive it).

I use Windows 10 and it's great. It's quite good for Programming things like Websites or Java-Programs(In my Opinion anyway). But I don't think it's best if you plan to do Server-Side Programming(E.g. PHP) or write C/C++ Code(I'm currently learning C and when I began, I literally had to go through a process of downloading MinGW and then assigning it to my IDE[Code::Blocks] and my God was it a nightmare).

A lot of people seem to say that MacOS X and Linux [Distro] are great for Programming. Now I can believe them. I mean, they're both Unix-Systems/Operating-Systems and(I'm guessing) they would be great anyway for Programming. I'd say that Linux would be great for Programming(Even though I've never seemed to use it). Seeing as it's popular among Programmers and Open-Source Developers then Linux would probably be your best choice(Just make sure that you choose a Distro that's easy to work in if you're a beginner in Linux).

From a C/C++ point of view:

Linux is awesome for this if you have a distro with a wide collection of packages.
For example say you want to do something with boost.
You just install the boost package and all files pop up in /usr/include/boost where every IDE/compiler/... finds them with zero configuration.

OSX is okay, but since most packages there are from third-party package managers like brew/macports, you usually need to adapt include paths before it works.

Windows is a C(++) nightmare like Codeblock said :Rofl:

Mostly developers would still be in either a pure Unix/Linux environment or - more likely - Microsoft Windows. However, In Stack Overflow's 2016 developer survey, OS X topped the most used Desktop Operating System, followed by Windows 7 and then Linux.

(Old Thread, I know but may as well revive it).
Never worry about replying to an old thread. There isn't any rules against it :)

I use Windows 10 and it's great. It's quite good for Programming things like Websites or Java-Programs(In my Opinion anyway). But I don't think it's best if you plan to do Server-Side Programming(E.g. PHP) or write C/C++ Code(I'm currently learning C and when I began, I literally had to go through a process of downloading MinGW and then assigning it to my IDE[Code::Blocks] and my God was it a nightmare).

I agree 100%! I also find that it's okay with websites but like you said it's a pain when you're doing stuff with C/C++, installing MinGW was very confusing! Perhaps we need a tutorial for it on CodeForum.

(I'm currently learning C)
How do you like it?

A lot of people seem to say that MacOS X and Linux [Distro] are great for Programming. Now I can believe them. I mean, they're both Unix-Systems/Operating-Systems and(I'm guessing) they would be great anyway for Programming. I'd say that Linux would be great for Programming(Even though I've never seemed to use it). Seeing as it's popular among Programmers and Open-Source Developers then Linux would probably be your best choice(Just make sure that you choose a Distro that's easy to work in if you're a beginner in Linux).
I've used MacOS X and I think it is awesome as for Linux I haven't used Parrot OS for a very long time now. I might install Linux on my laptop but haven't made up my mind yet. But with your post, I'll definitely give it more consideration to go with Linux.

From a C/C++ point of view:

Linux is awesome for this if you have a distro with a wide collection of packages.
For example say you want to do something with boost.
You just install the boost package and all files pop up in /usr/include/boost where every IDE/compiler/... finds them with zero configuration.

OSX is okay, but since most packages there are from third-party package managers like brew/macports, you usually need to adapt include paths before it works.

Windows is a C(++) nightmare like Codeblock said :Rofl:
Thanks for the information @sn0w! With this I think I may go straight to Linux, as for doing web development, do you think that Linux would be okay to do web development on it?

Mostly developers would still be in either a pure Unix/Linux environment or - more likely - Microsoft Windows. However, In Stack Overflow's 2016 developer survey, OS X topped the most used Desktop Operating System, followed by Windows 7 and then Linux.
Very interesting statistics, may I ask what OS you develop on?

I may go straight to Linux, as for doing web development, do you think that Linux would be okay to do web development on it?

Linux is (imo) great for web development because it runs Webservers, Databases, etc without workarounds like XAMPP.
You can just install Apache/Nginx/PHP/MariaDB/... through the package manager and sysctemctl start them.
Optionally they can also automatically start at boot (systemctl enable).
(This assumes a systemd-based distro but other init systems have similar commands.)

Well as long as it's okay to reply to an old Thread then good to know.

I hated installing MinGW. It was an absolute pain to go onto Code::Blocks, be told that I need a Compiler, get MinGW, set-up MinGW then apply the Compiler to Code::Blocks just to write C-Code. I don't understand why Windows doesn't come with the GCC Compiler either pre-installed or have a Command to download it. Is it because Windows isn't a UNIX/Linux Operating-System? If it did then that would make writing C/C++ Code a lot easier on Windows. But seeing as how Microsoft is supporting Linux more and more, they're upgrading from Command-Prompt to Terminal and are starting to support Open-Source, we could see GCC arrive to Windows. But I doubt it will happen anytime soon. A Tutorial on it would be good. I would do the Tutorial but now that I've accidentally deleted Windows and only have Ubuntu now, unfortunately I can't so somebody else will need to do it.

I actually quite like C. I love it's Syntax and how easy it is to work with and learn. I did struggle with Pointers at first but after watching that Video that I also posted on the C Programming Board, I do have a much better understanding of them. Once I've expanded my C knowledge a bit more, I do plan on beginning to contribute to the Linux Kernel and start learning Git and Version-Control.

I've never used an iMac or MacOS X. I don't plan on doing so anytime soon. I'm actually a big hater of Apple which is why I'm switching my Phone to a Samsung soon. I've recently switched to Ubuntu but as I said, I accidentally deleted Windows. I'm a bit sad because of it but I'm sure I will forget about it. You should give Linux a go again. If you happen to have an old Computer lying around or you want to get into the Open-Source Community then Linux is your best bet. And if you do get Linux [Distro], welcome to the Open-Source Side brother!

I like Windows because it fits better with my natural workflow for other projects, but I code just as well on my Linux setups. I think it's important to have both, especially if you are working on software development and need to support multiple OS. It's hard to test Linux if you only have a Windows computer ~ and vice versa.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom