Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

    GIF shows where to locate </> in the thread and or post editor toolbar.
    To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, review our "How to post your code into threads" here.

    Thank you, Code Forum.

Working with others on a long term project

durangod

Active Coder
Hi,

I have a couple of net based projects. One is a shopping software similar to ebay, one is a project bug tracking software, and my main one is a social website. It has been about 5 years now off and on that i have been working on the social website. I have taken time away 2-6 months here and there to help prevent burnout. The shopping software i am in the middle of a rewrite to remove bootstrap, i changed my mind about using bootstrap about 3/4 of the way in and so i have been working on it alittle at a time.

I code using native HTML, JS, CSS i do not use frameworks, its all by hand from a blank page to the completed page. I do this because i dont like depending on third party dependencies if i can ovoid it. It also allows me to know the code inside and out with no guesswork. It also allows for much easier debugging as i know the exact process path and i dont have to bounce around all over the script trying to find the bug in a third party dependency.

The reason i talk about all this is that i may be looking for some help along the way. I can do it all myself but being late in life i may kick the bucket before this project is done, then what happens, it gets zapped and 5 years of coding down the tubes never to be seen.

I know there is github but i dont like it. I also plan for these projects to be closed source and ionCubed with a few exceptions like css (theme stuff), custom html, plugins and such. The main reason i have not opened to door for help before is that i am a picky coder, i want code structured in a clean way and i want proper internal documentation. I also want other coders to follow my data process structure. It is a cousin to MVC Model-View-Controller but its not MVC. The structure is mine and follows some similar structure of MVC without the chocking hazzards. I also use PDO prepared statements and i need to stick with that.

My main question is for those of you that have stepped out of your bubble, or know someone who has, what has been your overall experience at getting project involvement from others knowing for the time being there is no pay? I would never ever rip anyone off or exploit their involvement but the fact is that until the first version is released there is no income, not even for me.

Are programmers willing to invest now for later reward?

How is the quality of code they put out?

How have they been at sticking to a road map plan? Meaning that shortening the JS or other code can be done later in new versions, i dont want to go backwards or stand still, i want to move forward with development and not get bogged down with recoding what does not need to be recoded as long as it is secure.

The bottom line is that no matter what precautions we take as developers, asking anyone along for the ride opens the door to code exposure, there is just no way around it. All we can do is hope that whoever we invite along has good character and respect for ownership and would never steal another devs property.

What about help with software documentation and text language translation, are there help avenues on the market for a pay later agreement?

Thanks 🙂

Your thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I know a guy that does near to what you are describing, pay later, and hey, some people do open source for no pay ever or on the horizon, I might be willing to help you, no agreement needed, but I understand if you want agreements though, NDA even. I know I have almost done revenue share projects and many do it that way. Like if or when it makes money you get a share. You may have to convince me a little though. X E.
 
Back
Top Bottom