Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yeah So, About This Fuchsia...

I will let your thread stay because it's an interesting topic, but please avoid posting links to news articles or any other web page without adding some of your own commentary too.
Users on CF should be able to know what the article is about and what you think about it before they click the link to learn more.

Please make sure you always include some of your thoughts and/or a description with any link you share :)
Thanks. I will respond to this & my thoughts soon.

So as you may know, Google is currently working on a new Operating-System that goes by the Name, Fuchsia.

Now at this moment in time, not much is really known about it. We do know a few Details though. Some of the Details are:
  • Instead of running on the Linux-Kernel, it runs on a Micro-Kernel
  • It's Open-Source just like Android(Another Operating-System made by Google)
  • That there is a Developer-Website for Fuchsia(fuchsia.dev)
Those are just some of the Details though. There is still a lot more to learn and know about this mysterious OS that could potentially replace Android.

So what are your thoughts on Fuchsia? Do you think it will be the successor to Android?

So what are your thoughts on Fuchsia? Do you think it will be the successor to Android?
I think Google is not just trying to replace Android, I believe they are trying to replace Linux.
It sounds like they are going ahead with this project to target multiple device types... computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. Linux is a great foundation, but there are delays due to negotiations with third parties (for Linux drivers), development issues arise, and there are problems overall that I bet Google doesn't enjoy dealing with. Having their own kernal and baseline for Fuchsia allows them to free themselves from the hardships of Linux. Sure, they are still going the open source route, but it's a lot easier to move things along when you start the program from the ground up... and Google will have much better negotiating power with hardware companies for drivers and support than the Linux developers have.

Damn, replace Linux!

If that's the case then that will be quite a challenge for them. I'm sure I have read that Google is going to use Fuchsia to target Smartphones, Tablets, Computers and other Smart-Devices(Smart-Car running on Fuchsia?)

And seeing as Fuchsia runs on it's own Kernel, it would make sense that they could be dealing with Issues for supporting Drivers and Software. In fact, it's probably a bigger pain to have Third-Parties support Fuchsia than it is to support Linux(And yet, even that's still a pain).

I like what you've just said.

Damn, replace Linux!

If that's the case then that will be quite a challenge for them. I'm sure I have read that Google is going to use Fuchsia to target Smartphones, Tablets, Computers and other Smart-Devices(Smart-Car running on Fuchsia?)

And seeing as Fuchsia runs on it's own Kernel, it would make sense that they could be dealing with Issues for supporting Drivers and Software. In fact, it's probably a bigger pain to have Third-Parties support Fuchsia than it is to support Linux(And yet, even that's still a pain).

I like what you've just said.
It might be a bigger pain to get Fuchsia support, but I think Google is equipped to get that done. They have a lot more money and resources to make deals with hardware providers instead of just begging them like Linux developers have to sometimes. Fuchsia is obviously still in progress, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it around a lot more in 5+ years. Google's infrastructure and reach is so large, it could easily be mass deployed.

Well, of course we'll need to give it time. The Project isn't as old as Android as it only appeared around the time Android 7.0 Nougat was released.

From Videos that I've watched about Fuchsia, I'm sure it's meant to be an Operating-System for Google to test things on and to see how it would work on things like Smartfridges, Smartglasses(Google Glass anyone?) and many other Smart-Devices. I think that's the whole point in Fuchsia.

But needless to say, I do believe that we will get a Device running the OS soon. Probably in the next 2 - 5 years we'll get a Fuchsia Device.

Well, of course we'll need to give it time. The Project isn't as old as Android as it only appeared around the time Android 7.0 Nougat was released.

From Videos that I've watched about Fuchsia, I'm sure it's meant to be an Operating-System for Google to test things on and to see how it would work on things like Smartfridges, Smartglasses(Google Glass anyone?) and many other Smart-Devices. I think that's the whole point in Fuchsia.

But needless to say, I do believe that we will get a Device running the OS soon. Probably in the next 2 - 5 years we'll get a Fuchsia Device.
I think we'll see Fuchsia in a lot of products. Smart phones, refrigerators, "homes" (Alexa), televisions, and cars.
A few articles mention that Google has said it's not meant to be a replacement for Android, it's intended to be an experimental (for now) operating system that helps Google learn new things and tackle new challenges. They are attempting to change the way an OS handles different events. It's entirely possible that we're either looking at a very robust and primitive OS for small devices, or we'll looking at something much larger like an OS that takes virtual reality or machine learning & artificial intelligence to a new level. Often we are obsessed with software and/or hardware when it comes to a product's capabilities. However, it's entirely possible that we've made the mistake of ignoring the OS discussions. We get so caught up in Android/iOS/Windows/Linux/etc and the various distros that perhaps we have ignored the opportunity for a new OS to blow everything else out of the water. Perhaps Fuchsia is an advanced OS capable of providing more power and efficiency to existing hardware/software... or maybe it's a barebones simple OS that can be run on tiny devices in the middle of Africa. Only time will tell, but it's definitely intriguing whenever Google has a new project in the works.

I myself, are interested in Fuchsia, what it will be used on and what sort of capabilities it has.

I've also heard of Google saying that it's not intented as a replacement for Android. And I certainly hope it isn't. I love Android and Google ending development on Android would probably be fatal to Developers, Users, Manufacturers and Google themselves.

And you're right, we are obsessed with Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android and IOS that we never really seem to give any other OS out there some of the spotlight. Like what about KaiOS? It has an extremely tiny market-share, not to mention that it doesn't recieve any attention.

And I would be surprised if Google made Fuchsia for other things like AI and not just Smart-Devices. That would be mind-blowing having a Personal-Assistant or Robot running on Fuchsia or a Fuchsia-Device.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom