Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Hyouka

Coder
Hello coders,

i have just started learning android development And Im having a slight problem regarding choosing the api for my java app...
the recent api should be 15(ice-cream sandwich)...but i only have option till api 16(jelly bean)...so its available for 99.8% devices...i wanna make it upto 100% Screenshot (268).png

And in second image ...the latest api available is only 16
Screenshot (264).png

I went to SDK platform to download api 15(icecream sandwich) but its already installed...

Screenshot (266).png

I even checked the hidden packages just to check whether something is missing that i haven't installed but everything is installed...i dont know why api 15 is not showing up when i try to create new project.

Screenshot (265).png

please help me out with this problem
Would love to hear your suggestions...Thank you!

Solution
To me, it seems like if you wait for everybody to start using new API versions, you'll always use old technology, but ok ;) (I mean, 99.8% is a lot :laugh:).

Can't you simply create a project of API level 16 and then change it to level 15 in the configuration of your project?
1617464823461.png
File > Project structure...
I do not really know, I personnaly have access to API level 14 and 15 and I did nothing special for it...

My version of Android Studio is '4.0.2'. What is yours?

Maybe API level 14 and 15 has been deprecated since version 4.1.0?

Is it really important for you to use API level 15? You won't gain much more users from using API level 15 over 16.

Last edited:
Maybe API level 14 and 15 has been deprecated since version 4.1.0?

Is it really important for you to use API level 15? You won't gain much more users from using API level 15 over 16.
um yes.. because when I created my first app which was calculator...it worked on my device but its wasnt working on other device whose api was 15...and now I am starting a serious project app...so I want this app to work on every device

To me, it seems like if you wait for everybody to start using new API versions, you'll always use old technology, but ok ;) (I mean, 99.8% is a lot :laugh:).

Can't you simply create a project of API level 16 and then change it to level 15 in the configuration of your project?
1617464823461.png

Solution
a
um yes.. because when I created my first app which was calculator...it worked on my device but its wasnt working on other device whose api was 15...and now I am starting a serious project app...so I want this app to work on eve

View attachment 833
hahaha😅😂..kinda gives me ocd when its not 100%....but thats useful...Thank you😇😌

Why would you want to support an obsolete version of Android? Only a tiny fraction of the Android userbase use either ICS, Jellybean, or Kitkat, and it means you have to support outdated technologies which will no longer be available.

My suggestion would be to support Android Lollipop(5.0/5.1), as that's what most developers support up to now. Plus, it's probably more closer in terms of technology to modern Android than it is to ICS.

There's plenty more issues with supporting older versions, so be wise with what you support and don't support. That tiny fraction you want will just have to upgrade.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom