Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coding boot camp

Cyborg

New Coder
I want to goto coding boot camp but I'm a convicted felon. Will that create to big of a barrier to obtaining employment in tech? Should I come up with another plan?

I want to goto coding boot camp but I'm a convicted felon. Will that create to big of a barrier to obtaining employment in tech? Should I come up with another plan?
Hey there,
Glad to hear that you are not allowing your past to define your future! I would definitely encourage you to seek either the bootcamp route, or the college route. Coding Bootcamp may be a bit more flexible than the college route, but definitely try to go the college route then the bootcamp. As far as your past is concerned, unfortunately, yes, it will create a bit of a hurdle for you, but not one that cannot be overcome. Learn what you can before doing bootcamp/college, during and after. Find tech meetups in your area, and attend in person, if you are able to. Nowadays, given the pandemic and all, in person attendance is now optional and can rather be seen online via youtube/twitch/etc streaming services. Still make it a point to watch the streams if you're not able to attend. Be a part of as many forums/coding communities as you can, and learn from every post, everybody.

Show them that you have made your mistakes, paid your dues, and now just want a fresh restart and show them what you can bring to the table. Find someone to mentor you so you can have someone vouch for you come interviews. Like I said, it won't be easy, just because you will be judged based on your prior(s), but do not let that discourage you from getting ahead in life. Do not let your past define your future. It's a truly sad thing to see/hear/read about when a former incarcerated person has finally paid their dues and just wants to move on and become someone better. Best of luck to you :)

New Threads

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom