Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Creating a basic weather app, where should I start?

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Code Plus
Company Plus
Hello Coders,

So recently I have been growing interest in creating my own weather app for my phone. I don't want to make it really fancy but all I want to do is display the current weather on the app. But I want to know where should I start, should I focus on developing the app around the API or should I build the UI and then add the weather functions?

Enter location to get the current weather .
Develop the app locally, you can build the UI - users can add location to get their local weather.
For Weather functions - study a local weather app to get some idea on how it functions.

@Malcolm How are you planning to build the app? Are you building the app in a native language, or are you going to use something like flutter, xamarin, Phonegap, or are you going to build a PWA?
I was thinking of building it in a native language! Other than that, it has just been a thought.

I would build the app functionality first and then work on the UI. You will also need to decide if you want to do Android or iOS they are very different. Then if you're completely new to mobile development, I'd look at some tutorials first. There are also a few weather apps tutorials on YouTube you can refer to.

I would build the app functionality first and then work on the UI. You will also need to decide if you want to do Android or iOS they are very different. Then if you're completely new to mobile development, I'd look at some tutorials first. There are also a few weather apps tutorials on YouTube you can refer to.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll check out YouTube, tbh I’ve never used YouTube to learn anything coding related lol

Thanks for the advice! I’ll check out YouTube, tbh I’ve never used YouTube to learn anything coding related lol
I find some of them better than the paid ones. If you decide to go Android/kotlin coding in flow is my favourite channel for that. Reso coder is also good but he has changed to teaching flutter in the last year.

Google codelabs is also pretty good.

I find some of them better than the paid ones. If you decide to go Android/kotlin coding in flow is my favourite channel for that. Reso coder is also good but he has changed to teaching flutter in the last year.

Google codelabs is also pretty good.
I’m a constant user of Udemy, but I should probably save some money I give YouTube a shot. So Coding in flow and Reso Coder?

is it Google Code labs or do you mean like google the word code labs :D

First of all, what smartphone is it that you have? Is it an Android phone or an iPhone? If it's an Android then you can get the development-kit on any system(Except for any BSD distribution). If it's an iPhone then you'll need either an iMac or any version of a MacBook, provided that the device is around 2012-2013 or newer and runs a more modern, up-to-date version of OS X(Preferably, OS X 10.13+).

I'll need to know these if I'm going to provide some directions on where to go next.

Malcolm said:
It would be an iPhone!
Right, okay then. So, I've got it that it's an iPhone, so you'll need either an iMac or any MacBook running a modern version of OS X. Do you have that as well?

I might continue developing that app for Android so I'm not stalling and once I have an Apple product to then build it using Xcode.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom