Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

EntitledStories.com - I built my own PHP based Reddit clone where users can share stories!

Mutiny

Bronze Coder
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to show off my latest project, EntitledStories.com. It's a custom PHP based Reddit clone that I wrote completely from scratch. The premise behind the site is that users can share stories like those seen on Reddit, such as Entitled Parents, Pro Revenge, Malicious Compliance, etc.

The site consists of a custom content management system I wrote, along with modules and a theme that are specific to the EntitledStories site that drive the Reddit-Like functionality.

The site allows users to post stories in different categories, post comments on stories, as well as manage a user profile where they can choose which communities they want to see stories from as well as manage other profile related items such as changing their password, etc.

There is also a very robust moderation system in place on the site, where users can report stories and site staff can moderate stories and users. When a user reports a story, a report is generated and an alert is shown to site staff who then can see the report, as well as review the reported story or comment and either ignore the reported content or suspend the post or comment or suspend the user who posted the content.

Who sees the report will vary based on their staff level on the site. Staff can either be a global moderator, so they can see reports from all story feeds, or they can be assigned only certain feeds, so they will only have staff powers on those feeds and be able to only see reports from those feeds.

The code was also built with speed and security in mind. As far as speed, the site is fast, loading on desktop in under a second! In my testing Google Pagespeed Insights consistently gives it a 91-92% grade on mobile and a 98-99% grade on desktop.

For security, the site has different levels of user permissions built in, as well as security features such as optional two-factor authentication for user accounts as well as Cloudflare awareness, so proper IP addresses get passed to the built in logging of the site. IP addresses of users are logged when they register, when they login and when they post so banning troublesome users is easy!

I encourage you to check out the site and let me know what you think. The underlying CMS system for this site is something I've been working on for years, but the site itself took me about a year of working on and off on weekends to build. I would love some feedback and if you end up staying to read some of the stories on there that would be great too. :)

EntitledStories.com - Wonderful Stories about Horrible People!

Well dam that's quick and i like the idea, if i signed up would you email me say the best 2 or 3 story's of the day as that's something i think would be awesome to add

Well dam that's quick and i like the idea, if i signed up would you email me say the best 2 or 3 story's of the day as that's something i think would be awesome to add

Thank you! Emailing the best stories of the day is a good idea! I will certainly consider that as a feature!

@Tealk I'll have to look into ActivityPub, that looks interesting.

Maybe I should include the libraries locally instead of using CDNs. There's pros and cons I think to both approaches, either hosting locally or loading from a CDN.

I'll also consider your advise about the cookies. The cookies are set by the CMS which runs the website, so it needs to be able to run on anything, even a site that potentially doesn't have HTTPS, but I'll look into adding a setting where if the site is on HTTPS, setting that secure flag.

What tool did you use to load the libraries? That looks like it would be helpful.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I love ActivityPub, I now have 4 instances that support the protocol and it's just great that they can all communicate with each other and the rest of the world.

if you support AP you can even be included here with your software, so if you make it available to others then

Maybe I should include the libraries locally instead of using CDNs. There's pros and cons I think to both approaches, either hosting locally or loading from a CDN.
cdn only makes sense when you have several thousand accesses every minute worldwide

yes exactly, either a setting in the acp that https is active or a query so that the cms recognizes that it runs over https

What tool did you use to load the libraries? That looks like it would be helpful.
i have installed everything mostly by hand so far, but yarn is also very nice to use

Hey there,

It really looks like a decent Reddit-alternative and I like it(especially as I enjoy seeing stories and images about entitled parents and whatnot on there). I don't intend on signing-up, but I do wish your site the very best.

While I do like the similarities it has to the old Reddit layout, my only complaint is that the posts are a bit too big(on the front page, that is). I think it would be nice if you made them more compact or at the very least, gave users an option to set the layout density.

You have obviously put a lot of time and effort, so again, best of luck to the site!

I love it! You did an incredible job with this and happy you decided to share it with us. :)

Any plans for adding new features or even for your next project?

@Malcolm yes, I plan to keep improving it and adding to it. First step is implementing some feedback based on what people here as well as on ForumPromotion have said. Then I want to add more language customization to the script. Right now there's a lot hard coded for EntitledStories as far as words and sentences, but I want to move all that over to a config file where they can be changed should someone want to create a different type of site using the script.

I may release it in the future, not quite sure yet if I will and what that will look like.

I also have other project ideas as well, next thing I tackle may be a site for freelancers and better management of clients / project requirements. I won't say more yet, that is still in the planning stage. :)

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom