Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jenner

Coder
I occasionally run or administer gaming servers and have shopped around and dealt with a number of hosts that provide dedicated hardware for the task. Most of the hosting companies that peddle "game servers" I've found to be rubbish for various reasons - typically though, either hiding the system behind a clunky, cumbersome web admin panel, or simply because it's a 'game server' on a subnet with many other 'game servers' is often the casualty of DDoS attacks against that subnet, despite 'DDoS protections'.

I recently went shopping "outside the box" for one and discovered "OVHcloud". They had a line of 'game servers' but they also had some very impressive other hardware which I settled on. I purchased a "Advance-1" server back in February for a year paid up front which turned out to be cheaper than a LOT of the competition and I've been highly impressed so far! I've never had any lag or network issues. No DDoS attacks because the network it sits on isn't much of a target, and the hardware is exceptionally fast and powerful for my needs with great single-core performance (which most game servers need more than anything).

If anyone is looking for a game-server host, I recommend giving them a try. To set it up, I had to remote-install Windows 2019 via their bare-metal management system but if you haven't dished out for your own Windows Server code, you can get one through them or install one of several Linux distros they have pre-configured and ready to go.

I've done Minecraft, ARMA3, Valheim, ARK:Survival Evolved, Satisfactory and Conan Exiles at some point or another. Basically, most are just what me and my gaming friends fancy at the time, though the Conan server I set it up as a public RP server.

Valheim is a good game and another along that genre is Empyrion Galactic Survival
You know, I own that one. Got it ages ago when it was VERY early access, but when I played it, it was "too new" and I shelved it to come back to later. I'll have to spin it up again and check it out now that a few years have passed!

I've done Minecraft, ARMA3, Valheim, ARK:Survival Evolved, Satisfactory and Conan Exiles at some point or another. Basically, most are just what me and my gaming friends fancy at the time, though the Conan server I set it up as a public RP server.
Sounds good. Not much of a gamer now compared to what I was before, but I always fancied the idea of running a server, however, trying to figure out how to get things running was a bit tedious for me and I was always constantly wondering where to host it, how to host it, how much it would cost, you get the idea. Maybe if I ever get back into gaming more seriously again, I may look into running a server again.

You generally want dedicated hardware for a gaming server It's hard to get away with a $30/month virtual instance when you're talking about gaming. The typical need for amazing single-core performance, 16Gb RAM+ , SSD IO persormance and high bandwidth/low latency networking is beyond most virtual machine offerings, especially when you start climbing upwards of 20-40 players online.

Some servers are really easy to set up, like Minecraft, Conan, etc... even with complex mod-loads. Some are an absolute nightmare (looking at you ARMA 3). They differ game to game though. A lot of the more popular games have launchers and dedicated server configuration utilities out there.

Cost wise, I pay about $1100 USD / Year for my dedicated hardware sitting on an unlimited bandwidth gigabit connection, which is actually pretty reasonable for the hardware specs and bandwidth. Most Gaming Server hosts typically want > $120/month.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom