Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Hello world"

Zoharra

New Coder
Hey all you people, so im just getting into code , 24 years old. Was into html when I was younger, and did some kind of coding for a minecraft server/plug in when I was like 16. But just now learning python. And tips, or sites to help? Thanks in advance. Also, anyone know about lisp? My old roommate used to use that and would like some info.

Lisp is an old language. I haven't seen anyone looking to hire someone that programs is lisp, but if it's something your doing for fun - who knows. This article might be helpful : Typed Lisp

Lisp is an old language. I haven't seen anyone looking to hire someone that programs is lisp, but if it's something your doing for fun - who knows. This article might be helpful : Typed Lisp
Not looking to learn it~ Just was curious about it ~ and ohh, man, I think he was using like different versions of it or something :eek:

Welcome to CF, @Zoharra!

I'll start by answering your question on Lisp first. As stated by @OldMan, Lisp is an old language - more specifically, an old family of languages. Lisp has never been used in a lot of applications and it still continues to not be used a lot: originally, Lisp was used on dedicated "Lisp machines", which ran Lisp code efficiently; in modern times, it remains mostly as a scripting language in GNU EMACS, and it was even used in the original version of Reddit(which later went on to be rewritten in Python).

Lisp isn't just an old language that doesn't get used in a lot of programs nowadays. It remains popular as a language among hobbyists, has several dialects that suit different needs and purposes, has a unique way of being written in(parentheses galore!), contains many unique and interesting features(of course, these features differ across dialects), and you will also discover that the language has strong ties to AI.

I recommend you read the Wikipedia article for a quick overview on Lisp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language)

As for Python, you've picked up a popular language among beginners, so finding resources won't be difficult. Here are some that I recommend you check out:
  • Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes - A beginner's book on Python covering all of the things you need to know.
  • The official Python wiki and Python docs - You'll find a lot of information here, and even more resources.

Read through these resources carefully and you should be alright. Python is quite easy to pickup and should you have any questions, you can ask them here, on IRC, on a mailing-list, anywhere.

Welcome again!

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom