Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Help with Autoscoring Website?

Bretkindall

New Coder
I’ll try to be clear and concise here, hopefully it’s not too long.

—I am an ag teacher and coach different high school level competitive teams in varying ag industries. One of which is a soils contest, where students are given several different factors about a soil and they make management decisions based on those factors. The contest uses a scantron, therefore, the management decisions are simply checkboxes.
—I want to make a website that randomizes the factors given to students, and allows them to use the scantron and auto-score it. There are a lot of “if” scenarios with the factors that change which management decisions they should select. For example, if the soil is a moderately coarse texture, then the soil permeability will be moderate, unless the slope is >3%, then the permeability will be rapid.
—There is a need for a program like this, therefore, I’d like to develop it to eventually make it a subscription service for other ag teachers to purchase and provide access to their own students.
—I attached a screenshot of a similar, outdated program. However, this program has set factors (each factor is in the drop down menu above each section). Basically, there are only about 15 examples for students to complete, once they do them all, they can redo them but the factors never change and they never get to practice other examples unless their teacher creates new ones (typically with pen and paper). This could save a ton of time for teachers, provide endless practice opportunities for students, and be an overall valuable tool in my industry.
—The problem is, I don’t even know what to search on YouTube to even get started. I have created Google Sites before but I don’t know how I would make an editable scantron that randomizes options and automatically feeds out scores.
2C7A667B-FC10-4579-AC36-BC2643357EB0.png

So you need HTML for the website, CSS to make it look pretty, SQL as this will more then likely need a database, PHP to do the juicy bits.

I could help but i need to understand more :D So if i have read this right, you want say 5 questions with random solutions and depending on the answers depends on the score :S

I can't answer in full right now, but can you tell us what technologies you would want to use primarily? For example, PHP or Python come to mind for me, with PHP obviously a go-to for websites.

Due to the details of your project, I feel obliged to ask you if you'd rather pay to have it created. I could definitely have a web portal up and ready for you very quickly, or I could mentor you to teach you how to do it yourself.

So you need HTML for the website, CSS to make it look pretty, SQL as this will more then likely need a database, PHP to do the juicy bits.

I could help but i need to understand more :D So if i have read this right, you want say 5 questions with random solutions and depending on the answers depends on the score :S
Yes, in a way. I want to provide students with a few basic factors, but allow those factors to generate randomly, let's say they change every time a student refreshes and/or selects some sort of "Randomizer" button. But with each randomized event, the student will click through the options and get an instant score once they are completed. Basically, the student could practice with various factors over and over, since those combination of factors is what changes some of the decisions they need to make. Thank you so much for the information!

I can't answer in full right now, but can you tell us what technologies you would want to use primarily? For example, PHP or Python come to mind for me, with PHP obviously a go-to for websites.

Due to the details of your project, I feel obliged to ask you if you'd rather pay to have it created. I could definitely have a web portal up and ready for you very quickly, or I could mentor you to teach you how to do it yourself.
I am actually very interested in being mentored to do it myself. Seeing that I would like to monitor and control the site, I would like to be able to troubleshoot it and eventually adapt and change it as needed. However, I have absolutely zero experience/knowledge with website development, maybe a great starting place would be for me to learn and understand the basics on my own time and then sit down with you? That way you aren't banging your head against the wall when I don't understand the simplest of things :laugh: What would you suggest? Is this something you would have time for and be available to do?

I am actually very interested in being mentored to do it myself. Seeing that I would like to monitor and control the site, I would like to be able to troubleshoot it and eventually adapt and change it as needed. However, I have absolutely zero experience/knowledge with website development, maybe a great starting place would be for me to learn and understand the basics on my own time and then sit down with you? That way you aren't banging your head against the wall when I don't understand the simplest of things :laugh: What would you suggest? Is this something you would have time for and be available to do?
Yeah, I think start learning the basics first.

You can use this website to learn, that's where I learnt Html and JavaScript

Yes, in a way. I want to provide students with a few basic factors, but allow those factors to generate randomly, let's say they change every time a student refreshes and/or selects some sort of "Randomizer" button. But with each randomized event, the student will click through the options and get an instant score once they are completed. Basically, the student could practice with various factors over and over, since those combination of factors is what changes some of the decisions they need to make. Thank you so much for the information!
Yeah 100% this can be done with what i have said :) if you need any help you can always reach out to us :)

Well, step 1 should be HTML/CSS to create the initial designs.
You can use PHP to hold questions/answers in arrays (or store in a database & retrieve with PHP), making the orders random. This would obviously have a corresponding data entry saved to a file or database so that scantrons can be scored properly.

Really what you need is a generic question/answer management software, of which many exist. Personally if I were taking on this project I would use an existing quiz system and then modify it to support the scantron aspect. The actual topic (factors, agriculture, etc) is irrelevant from a software standpoint, so I could even reuse other software I've built as a base.

Is the scantron scoring 100% required? I understand that's what they use now, but if you are going to build a software to digitalize this experience then wouldn't it be best to move completely away from old scoring methods and just score it automatically?

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom