RHH
Coder
I have a domain name, a hosting site, Filezilla, Sublime Text (which I'm learning to use), Notepad++. I work on an older HP laptop running Windows 10. I have a very basic page hosted, but I need to know more about what I'm doing; so I'll ask some questions here.
1. Filezilla: I've used it before but I've slept too many times since then. Can someone tell me what the upper right quadrant of Filezilla is for? . . . what it displays? Can you point me to a good tutorial on Filezilla?
2. Do you have any pointers for setting things up at my hosting site? What should be there? What should not be there? What must be there?
3. I also need the same pointers for the development on my system. I have created a separate partition on my HDD but I seem to want to clutter it up. If you have suggestions for what to put in this partition (ie, what folders and sub-folders might be useful) and what to keep out of it, I'm all ears.
4. HTML is still giving me fits. Does any reference exist that tells what attributes and qualifiers can be used with what tags that also provides syntax and examples?
5. Any pointers on version control? My goal is to make one successful change to my web site per day. This might include new content or just better structured HTML, CSS . . . In any case, I'd like to have a simple means of keeping the currently hosted page on my HDD. I added a couple of comment lines in my code that have version number and date and the path to the folder on my local machine where it resides. If there is a better way to do this, I'm open to learning new things.
That's enough for now. I'm going back to my Sublime tutorial and HTML tutorials.
1. Filezilla: I've used it before but I've slept too many times since then. Can someone tell me what the upper right quadrant of Filezilla is for? . . . what it displays? Can you point me to a good tutorial on Filezilla?
2. Do you have any pointers for setting things up at my hosting site? What should be there? What should not be there? What must be there?
3. I also need the same pointers for the development on my system. I have created a separate partition on my HDD but I seem to want to clutter it up. If you have suggestions for what to put in this partition (ie, what folders and sub-folders might be useful) and what to keep out of it, I'm all ears.
4. HTML is still giving me fits. Does any reference exist that tells what attributes and qualifiers can be used with what tags that also provides syntax and examples?
5. Any pointers on version control? My goal is to make one successful change to my web site per day. This might include new content or just better structured HTML, CSS . . . In any case, I'd like to have a simple means of keeping the currently hosted page on my HDD. I added a couple of comment lines in my code that have version number and date and the path to the folder on my local machine where it resides. If there is a better way to do this, I'm open to learning new things.
That's enough for now. I'm going back to my Sublime tutorial and HTML tutorials.
Last edited: