Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hey

Hays

New Coder
Hey everyone,

Thanks for having me.

I have been interested in development (primarily web development) for over 10 years, I have been dabbling in this on and off for around 10 years too. I never got any good at it, purely because I was so lazy. Without boring everyone, I am now back in the development scene and want to take learning a language seriously. I have realised that I am a creative person and when I make things, I am at peace.

The languages that I want to become at least semi proficient at in the next 5 years is PHP, JS, HTML and CSS. I primarily enjoy using Wordpress and am in the process of building a business using Woocommerce. This is mostly what has sparked my interest back up, just because of the ridiculous prices people charge non-developers for their support.

I know there is an abundance of information on the forum, I will most definitely look but if anyone has any book recommendations for the above - drop them in! Thank you.

Much love,
Hays

Hello, @Hays!

Welcome to CodeForum.org! It's good to hear that you have a goal in mind. In regards to learning HTML/CSS/JS, I recommend checking out the MDN(Mozilla Developer Network) - they have all of the documentation and references you need to learn these languages alongside good examples. It's updated frequently by volunteers and so everything is kept up-to-date. You may also see W3Schools be recommended, but I recommend avoiding them as their examples aren't so good and some of their documentation is out of date.

In regards to PHP, I don't know of anything else other than the PHP manual, which can be found on their website. Check it out and see if that works for you.

The best way to learn programming is to keep at it and make sure you do lots of practice. A couple of nights/days a week should do - don't do it constantly as you'll burn yourself out that way. When you're doing practice, do something that isn't too difficult nor too easy that it will cause you to lose interest. And of course, if you need help, don't be afraid to ask! Since most people on this forum are experienced with the languages you're interested in, you're guaranteed to get help.

Welcome again! :)

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom