Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to "test" Linux

netsavy006

Legendary Coder
There are 2 ways I know of that you can do to test linux.

Method 1:
Obtaining the ISO/Disc Image, burning it to a CD/DVD, telling the BIOS to boot off the CD/DVD first, then booting into the CD/DVD, and telling Linux you want to boot into live mode. (it may say something like "Try X without installing")

Method 2:
Downloading a Virtual Machine program, (such as Virtual Box) and creating a virtual machine for Linux. You would then install Linux on the virtual image.

I know this info isn't very detailed, but I wanted to share what I knew.
 
Downloading a Virtual Machine program, (such as Virtual Box) and creating a virtual machine for Linux. You would then install Linux on the virtual image.
Don't really have too much to sure as well. But perhaps using a USB and installing it on an old computer or you can use Vmware Workstation (I'm using this right now).
 
I once tried Lubuntu(I think it was 16.04) a few Months ago on Oracle VirtualBox. It was fun to try out a completely different Operating-System. The Reason I went with Lubuntu was because Ubuntu never seemed to work. I'm also pretty sure that when I was trying Lubuntu, the VM was pretty slow so that kind of ruined everything.

A few Months later, I burned Ubuntu to a USB-Stick, booted it up and tried it for a couple of hours. After those couple of hours, I had installed Ubuntu.

I would suggest that you just burn the Distro to whatever you're going to burn it to, either it be a Disc or USB. A VM is quite tricky to set-up(That's what I think of setting up a VM anyway) and sometimes, the VM won't even work.
 
I test out distros on old computers of mine. I guess it's not really "testing" if you fully remove Windows and install Linux, but for me my old computers are like digital playgrounds. I take them apart to upgrade some pieces, wipe &I install operating systems, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom