Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TableFlipGod

Bronze Coder
Ok so, basically i want to make myself a movie server and a website that goes along with it. I already have everything planned out. Its just that I need to know how to stream data from my raspberry pi to my website. I know a few methods but im just getting a bit confused.

So if i have my mp4 file in this dir:
/share/MediaServer/movies/test.mp4
Then i should be able to go to my pi local ip: 10.0.0.75/share/MediaServer/movies/test.mp4

But I want to access this pi from a website that i make. So it would connect to my ip xx.xx.xx.xx
Then it would connect to my pi and get the movies off of there. How would i do this?

Dude. Stop it with the un-related Posts. You're not helping anyone when you say something like this.

Instead of saying things like these, actually try and help them when they're asking for help.

Hmm....I'm not experienced with Streaming or uploading Files via a Server nor' do I have much knowledge on them but...I will say a few things.

So, you've got everything planned out. You've got the Site, you're Oracle-Sized Raspberry-Pi but you're suffering from what I like to call: I Don't Know What I'm Doing And I Don't Know How To Breathe Either(Or, IDKWIDAIDKHTBE. Try saying that 10 times fast).

Anyways, I would suggest that you look into doing something like this. Get some Books and study about things like putting Data and FIles onto a Website and how to Stream things from a Server. Also, learn how to deal with IPs too. Something like this is extremely complex and so studying before attempting to do something like this is recommended.

Secondly, I'm assuming that these are actual Movies that you either:
  • Ripped from a DVD
  • Torrented on the Internet
  • Payed the Fee and downloaded it legally yet got the Files.
Even if what you did to get them was legal, if this is going to be a public Site then I feel sorry for you, your lawyers and your money. Because, if this is public and more and more people find out about, expect to get hit with a ton of fines and lawsuits. That is unless, you License the Movies so it's perfectally legal. But, you will have to deal with Contracts.

If you really don't know how to do something like this and it's a public Site with actual Movies that you could find somewhere on Netflix, the store or the cinema, then I heavily suggest that you don't do this. Looking at your Skills too, the only Languages I think you could really on do something like this would be C++, Python and PHP. But, I'm not sure of your experience with these Languages so that makes me up against the idea even more.

I would continue to brush up on your Languages a bit more and also study things like Streaming and uploading from Servers.

Hmm....I'm not experienced with Streaming or uploading Files via a Server nor' do I have much knowledge on them but...I will say a few things.

So, you've got everything planned out. You've got the Site, you're Oracle-Sized Raspberry-Pi but you're suffering from what I like to call: I Don't Know What I'm Doing And I Don't Know How To Breathe Either(Or, IDKWIDAIDKHTBE. Try saying that 10 times fast).

Anyways, I would suggest that you look into doing something like this. Get some Books and study about things like putting Data and FIles onto a Website and how to Stream things from a Server. Also, learn how to deal with IPs too. Something like this is extremely complex and so studying before attempting to do something like this is recommended.

Secondly, I'm assuming that these are actual Movies that you either:
  • Ripped from a DVD
  • Torrented on the Internet
  • Payed the Fee and downloaded it legally yet got the Files.
Even if what you did to get them was legal, if this is going to be a public Site then I feel sorry for you, your lawyers and your money. Because, if this is public and more and more people find out about, expect to get hit with a ton of fines and lawsuits. That is unless, you License the Movies so it's perfectally legal. But, you will have to deal with Contracts.

If you really don't know how to do something like this and it's a public Site with actual Movies that you could find somewhere on Netflix, the store or the cinema, then I heavily suggest that you don't do this. Looking at your Skills too, the only Languages I think you could really on do something like this would be C++, Python and PHP. But, I'm not sure of your experience with these Languages so that makes me up against the idea even more.

I would continue to brush up on your Languages a bit more and also study things like Streaming and uploading from Servers.

I figured out that if i just put the movies into my
var/www/html/MediaServer/movies/
folder then i just go to my public ip xx.xx.xx.xx and then put xx.xx.xx.xx/MediaServer/movies/Movie.mp4.

This works fine but i plan on making my own app in the future.
and also i plan on using this for my friends at school. So i can make a search function but how would i scan how many movies there are in my movies folder?

Edit: here is an image WillyWanka2.png

Last edited:
I figured out that if i just put the movies into my
var/www/html/MediaServer/movies/
Well, good. You've got it in the right Directory for your Apache Server. And just so you know, there was no need to hide the Directory-Location in a Spoiler.

folder then i just go to my public ip xx.xx.xx.xx and then put xx.xx.xx.xx/MediaServer/movies/Movie.mp4.
What you need to know about IPs is that, an IP is assigned to each Device. But, they aren't the same IP. Every IP is different and unique, just like humans. And if I'm right in saying, when you connect to a different Wi-Fi Network, the Device IP also changes alongside the Wi-Fi Network. And since this will be a Server for you and your friends, you'll need to see if you can try and have each Device connect to this one IP.

Try looking into seeing how you can get others to connect to your IP. But be aware, it may involve tweaking some Wi-Fi and IP Settings for your ISP. If you still live with your parents, ask if it's okay to do so. If you're on your own, then go ahead.

i plan on making my own app in the future.
Good luck with that : ] I wish you the best.

So i can make a search function but how would i scan how many movies there are in my movies folder?
For you to make a Search-Function, you'll need knowledge of PHP and maybe some SQL. PHP to do all of the File-Searching, processing and checking. And SQL to store all of your Files and File Info inside a Database. If it does involve SQL, you'll need to connect the PHP code to the SQL Database that stores the Files and the File-Info.

and also i plan on using this for my friends at school.
As I said earlier, you'll need to try and find a way to let your friends connect to this IP. If you're going to just watch it together on one Computer then you won't have to do anything. But if you want your friends to access the Movies outside of your house/school, then you will have to figure out a way to let them connect.

Screenshot at 2019-09-21 21-35-14.png
Mum, please come pick me up, I'm scared.

Well, good. You've got it in the right Directory for your Apache Server. And just so you know, there was no need to hide the Directory-Location in a Spoiler.

What you need to know about IPs is that, an IP is assigned to each Device. But, they aren't the same IP. Every IP is different and unique, just like humans. And if I'm right in saying, when you connect to a different Wi-Fi Network, the Device IP also changes alongside the Wi-Fi Network. And since this will be a Server for you and your friends, you'll need to see if you can try and have each Device connect to this one IP.

Try looking into seeing how you can get others to connect to your IP. But be aware, it may involve tweaking some Wi-Fi and IP Settings for your ISP. If you still live with your parents, ask if it's okay to do so. If you're on your own, then go ahead.

For you to make a Search-Function, you'll need knowledge of PHP and maybe some SQL. PHP to do all of the File-Searching, processing and checking. And SQL to store all of your Files and File Info inside a Database. If it does involve SQL, you'll need to connect the PHP code to the SQL Database that stores the Files and the File-Info.

As I said earlier, you'll need to try and find a way to let your friends connect to this IP. If you're going to just watch it together on one Computer then you won't have to do anything. But if you want your friends to access the Movies outside of your house/school, then you will have to figure out a way to let them connect.

View attachment 212
You can access the movie if i give you my ip.
The server is public its just designing it and adding the movies which isnt hard. I dislike php due to security issues and the ability for sql injection and so many other things.
Also windows is bugged for me.

You can access the movie if i give you my ip.
Right, okay. But I'm not sure if the IP can be accessed from another Wi-Fi Network.

The server is public its just designing it and adding the movies which isnt hard.
Becareful and don't share it with too many people. If it gets too much attention, Authorities might get involved. And that's the last thing you want for your Programming-Career.

I dislike php due to security issues and the ability for sql injection
Well, that's really the only Languages you could use for this Job. And you can even implement Security-Measures to prevent Attacks but you'd have to be good with Security to do that. If it's not PHP or SQL, then I'd say your last choice is Python. But, you'll have to use a Web-API if you're going to use Python.

Right, okay. But I'm not sure if the IP can be accessed from another Wi-Fi Network.

Becareful and don't share it with too many people. If it gets too much attention, Authorities might get involved. And that's the last thing you want for your Programming-Career.

Well, that's really the only Languages you could use for this Job. And you can even implement Security-Measures to prevent Attacks but you'd have to be good with Security to do that. If it's not PHP or SQL, then I'd say your last choice is Python. But, you'll have to use a Web-API if you're going to use Python.
Least likely to use python. And yes you can its called PORT FORWARDING. Thats how you connect to a minecraft server. But the way mine works is that its the only server with open ports with an index.html so its Public thus only that directory can be accessed

Least likely to use python.
Well, how are you going to do a Search-Function. I mean, you could use JavaScript, but that would involve a ton of If-Statements just for specific Search-Terms. That's an extremely dumb and in-efficient way of doing things. So, either it's PHP or Python for Search. I'm not sure if you can use something like JQuery or Node.js for Search but I doubt you can. So again, either it's PHP/SQL or Python. Those are really your only choices for Search.

its called PORT FORWARDING. Thats how you connect to a minecraft server.
Ah, yeah. Port-Forwarding. I remember doing something when trying to set-up a Personal MC-Server for me and my friend once. Didn't work for some reason. Not sure if I did something wrong. But yeah, Port-Forwarding can work. And if I'm correct, you don't have to do anything for Port-Forwarding, right? It's just the IP, isn't it? If it's the IP, make sure it can be publicly accessed.

View attachment 212
A) your mc server didnt work because windows firewall.
B) i decided to scratch that and just get the file from purchased dvd for when im not home and dont wanna carry around 5k dvds or pay for netflix they have nothing anyway.
C) My mom lets me do somewhat whatever i want as long as its legal which ill read up on if making a private server for myself is or isnt.
D) Manually adding the movies shouldnt be hard especially since its only me and my mom + grandparents

A) your mc server didnt work because windows firewall.
When it comes to Safety and Security on the internet, I'm quite smart with it. But, under no circumstances will I disable my Firewall. What if I forget to put it back on? Luckily enough, I don't use Windows anymore but that doesn't mean I can't disable the Firewall. Even if I don't use Windows, I refuse to disable that Firewall.
i decided to scratch that and just get the file from purchased dvd
Well, good that you got the DVDs legally. But, how did you get the Files for the Movie? Did you use some sort of tool to get the Files or....?
pay for netflix they have nothing anyway.
Yeah.....Don't pay for Netflix....That is, if you like paying annoying Monthly-Subscriptions, having Data-Collected and you prefer Streaming over Physical-Copies. I don't use Netflix cause I don't like Streaming. In fact, I haven't really used it. I just don't want to use it.
C) My mom lets me do somewhat whatever i want as long as its legal which ill read up on if making a private server for myself is or isnt.
Hm..Well, that's good enough if your mother let's you do anything. But, you should check with her just in case. Just to be safe. And yes, I highly advise that you read up on if it's Legal or not. If it's not, you may go ahead with it but your responsible if the Authorities come knocking on your door.
D) Manually adding the movies shouldnt be hard especially since its only me and my mom + grandparents
Yip. Adding the Movies manually isn't too hard. You just need to use the <video> Tag and then link to whatever File. But if you do ever feel like adding a Search-Function, remember that it's either PHP or Python.

You need to find some uploaders and movie rippers for your site.
Not sure if you seen his Post but he mentioned that he's bought the DVDs and he'll just take the Files of the DVD and put those Files, onto a Server. Then, he can manually add some HTML code to the Site to display the Films.

Unless he wants to get himself into trouble by breaking the Law, I don't think his mother would be pleased. So, just taking the Files out of the DVD is perfectly fine provided that he doesn't Re-Distribute the Files.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom