Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Me again .. first website question, wordpress/hosting

HollyJ24

Coder
Hi sorry it's me again! I have been busy creating my husbands website for him. It is a 1 page site with a simple pricing section, testimonials and contact section. I have built it on my own site using Atom with basic HTML CSS and Bootstrap. My question is when it comes to making it go live how do I go about that? He already has a domain so I know I will need to get hosting, but do I just run it off my computer or is it better to convert it to a cms like wordpress? Is there benefits of using a cms and uploading it as a custom theme? Thank you :D

Last edited:
If no contributions are to be published there, WP is totally superfluous.
The way you describe it, the page should only display something. Upload this data to the webspace, done.

Hosting a website at home is a very stupid idea. Webhosting providers are by far cheaper than the electricity it would cost.

PS: It would be great if you put bootstrap locally on the webserver and not load it externally.

Last edited:
If no contributions are to be published there, WP is totally superfluous.
The way you describe it, the page should only display something. Upload this data to the webspace, done.

Hosting a website at home is a very stupid idea. Webhosting providers are by far cheaper than the electricity it would cost.

PS: It would be great if you put bootstrap locally on the webserver and not load it externally.
I meant using a web hosting service that didn't come across right ...
Can I ask what you mean in regards to the bootstrap comment? Thanks

If it's static, I agree with Tealk - WP would be overkill.

In terms of hosting, you could upload it to any one of hundreds/thousands of providers. When I was just starting out, I always used shared hosting but now I'd just host things on their own VPS. (Take a look at Digital Ocean or Linode for example) You could even choose to host with AWS or Google but they're complicated for getting started and it'd be yet another thing to learn :x3:

But having said all this, I have seen a lot about Netlify these days which could be good to take a look at.
I decided to give them a try myself to host a single page app I built the other day and honestly couldn't believe how simple it was. You have the option of simply dragging and dropping the built website folder from your machine to Netlify (good to start with) or connecting with git (recommended) to deploy your website. And there are options to hook up your own domain. There's a free plan of course which is also good for a start :) Check it out: https://www.netlify.com/

If it's static, I agree with Tealk - WP would be overkill.

In terms of hosting, you could upload it to any one of hundreds/thousands of providers. When I was just starting out, I always used shared hosting but now I'd just host things on their own VPS. (Take a look at Digital Ocean or Linode for example) You could even choose to host with AWS or Google but they're complicated for getting started and it'd be yet another thing to learn :x3:

But having said all this, I have seen a lot about Netlify these days which could be good to take a look at.
I decided to give them a try myself to host a single page app I built the other day and honestly couldn't believe how simple it was. You have the option of simply dragging and dropping the built website folder from your machine to Netlify (good to start with) or connecting with git (recommended) to deploy your website. And there are options to hook up your own domain. There's a free plan of course which is also good for a start :) Check it out: https://www.netlify.com/
Thank you i'll have a look at Netlify! :D

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom