Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Python Newbie question: How do I re-shape this dataframe?

kito34

New Coder
Hi all!

Python:
df = pd.DataFrame({'Customer': ['Sarah', 'Sarah', 'Sarah', 'Bob', 'Bob',
                           'Bob'],
                   'Channel': ['eCommerce', 'Brick and Mortar Store', 'eCommerce', 'eCommerce',
                               'Brick and Mortar Store', 'eCommerce'],
                   'Purchase Value': [90, 60, 30, 30, 50, 50],
                   'Month of Purchase': ['Jan', 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Feb']})

I'd like to re-shape it to get the following data frame:
Python:
df1 = pd.DataFrame({'Customer': ['Sarah', 'Bob'],
                   'Jan': [.6,1],
                   'Feb':[1,.5]})

In the second data frame, the values are representative of the amount of money that flow through eCommerce (eCommerce purchase value / (eCommerce + Brick and Mortar purchase value) for each customer, for each month.

Between the groupby, aggregate, stack/unstack, and pivot functions, I'm lost as how to approach this problem. I am using python/pandas.

Thank you!

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom