Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

JavaScript Noob tries cookies and video/audio

KittenKatja

Well-Known Coder
It's been a while since I was last to Code Forum, mostly gone because I got ghosted.

I got a local HTML file, where I want to set a cookie, which sets the last selected video as the background, so I don't always have to navigate to that button every time I reload it.
I already coded that part, but it just doesn't work.
Furthermore, I also want to make a button turn on/off the sound of the background video, and a range-type input to control the volume, but everything I found so far on the web is either calling something I don't understand, and it isn't elaborated further what it does, it just gets titled as the function that adds something to the video/audio controls, but copying the code does nothing for me, or it references the basic building blocks that also don't work and aren't elaborated on how to use them.

There's also another iframe where I open audio files, unrelated to the background, and I can't style them so that only the control's part of the audio shows, and I'd like to have them already set to loop, too.

It's been a while since I was last to Code Forum, mostly gone because I got ghosted.

I got a local HTML file, where I want to set a cookie, which sets the last selected video as the background, so I don't always have to navigate to that button every time I reload it.
I already coded that part, but it just doesn't work.
Furthermore, I also want to make a button turn on/off the sound of the background video, and a range-type input to control the volume, but everything I found so far on the web is either calling something I don't understand, and it isn't elaborated further what it does, it just gets titled as the function that adds something to the video/audio controls, but copying the code does nothing for me, or it references the basic building blocks that also don't work and aren't elaborated on how to use them.

There's also another iframe where I open audio files, unrelated to the background, and I can't style them so that only the control's part of the audio shows, and I'd like to have them already set to loop, too.
Hi there,

First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of Code Forum for your past experience. The staff tries to get to everyone's questions as soon as we are able to. Sometimes, if we are not able to, someone else from the community might get to it. However, when someone does not respond to your particular question, it doesn't necessarily mean you were ghosted. It could just be that no one had a way to properly help you out with your particular issue, or that your post may have gotten pushed down the queue by others' posts. Best advice I can provide you, is if you see that there is no response to your post for a few days, feel free to repost.

As for your question...is there a way for you to post up the relevant code? It would definitely help your post get faster responses if we saw some code that we could attempt to debug and see where your mistakes are

function loadSetup() {setBackground(getCookie("background"))} function displayMedia() {document.getElementById("media").style.display="block";} function setMedia(url) {document.getElementById("media").src=url;document.getElementById("media").style.display="block";} function setBackground(url) {document.getElementById("background").src=url;document.getElementById('background_blur').src=url;setCookie("background", url, 3);setSelected()} function randInt(min, max) {return Math.floor(Math.random() * (max - min)) + min;} function setCookie(cname, cvalue, exdays) {const d = new Date();d.setTime(d.getTime() + (exdays*24*60*60*1000));let expire = "expires="+ d.toUTCString();document.cookie = cname + "=" + cvalue + ";" + expire + ";path=/";} function getCookie(cname) {let n = cname + "=";let dc = decodeURIComponent(document.cookie);let ca = dc.split(';');for(let i = 0; i <ca.length; i++) {let c = ca[i];while (c.charAt(0) == ' ') {c = c.substring(i);} if (c.indexOf(n) == 0) {return c.substring(n.length, c.length);}} return "";} function setSelected() {document.getElementsByClassName("active").classList.remove("active-bg");this.classList.add("active-bg")}
<html> <body onload="loadSetup()"> <video id="background_blur" style="position: fixed;transform: translate(-50%,-50%);left: 50%;top: 50%;height: auto;width: 100%;filter: blur(20px)"></video> <video id="background" style="position: fixed;transform: translate(-50%,-50%);left: 50%;top: 50%;height: 100%;width: auto;"></video> <div id="window" style="width: fit-content;height: fit-content;max-height: 959px;display: flex;flex-direction: row;gap: 10px;justify-content: space-between;position: fixed;overflow-y: scroll;top: 5px;left: 5px;"> <span>Sound: <input type="range"></input><button onclick="toggleSound()">Mute</button></span><!--toggleSound() doesn't exist right now--> <a onclick="setBackground('file:///[...]')">[...]</a> <a href="file:///[...]" target="media" onclick="displayMedia()" title="I probably wanted to do an href to onclick jump here, but probably forgot about it">[...]</a> <span><select><option id="option1">1</option><option id="option2">2</option></select><input type="text" id="thattextfield" style="width: 30px;"></input><button id="randomizer" onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').innerHTML(randInt(1,100))">Random</button><button>OK</button></span> </div> </body> </html>

I just noticed the other unfinished building I forgot to mention as well; that one span at the bottom that has select, text input, and ok - I don't know how to address these and get the information into JS

function loadSetup() {setBackground(getCookie("background"))} function displayMedia() {document.getElementById("media").style.display="block";} function setMedia(url) {document.getElementById("media").src=url;document.getElementById("media").style.display="block";} function setBackground(url) {document.getElementById("background").src=url;document.getElementById('background_blur').src=url;setCookie("background", url, 3);setSelected()} function randInt(min, max) {return Math.floor(Math.random() * (max - min)) + min;} function setCookie(cname, cvalue, exdays) {const d = new Date();d.setTime(d.getTime() + (exdays*24*60*60*1000));let expire = "expires="+ d.toUTCString();document.cookie = cname + "=" + cvalue + ";" + expire + ";path=/";} function getCookie(cname) {let n = cname + "=";let dc = decodeURIComponent(document.cookie);let ca = dc.split(';');for(let i = 0; i <ca.length; i++) {let c = ca[i];while (c.charAt(0) == ' ') {c = c.substring(i);} if (c.indexOf(n) == 0) {return c.substring(n.length, c.length);}} return "";} function setSelected() {document.getElementsByClassName("active").classList.remove("active-bg");this.classList.add("active-bg")}
<html> <body onload="loadSetup()"> <video id="background_blur" style="position: fixed;transform: translate(-50%,-50%);left: 50%;top: 50%;height: auto;width: 100%;filter: blur(20px)"></video> <video id="background" style="position: fixed;transform: translate(-50%,-50%);left: 50%;top: 50%;height: 100%;width: auto;"></video> <div id="window" style="width: fit-content;height: fit-content;max-height: 959px;display: flex;flex-direction: row;gap: 10px;justify-content: space-between;position: fixed;overflow-y: scroll;top: 5px;left: 5px;"> <span>Sound: <input type="range"></input><button onclick="toggleSound()">Mute</button></span><!--toggleSound() doesn't exist right now--> <a onclick="setBackground('file:///[...]')">[...]</a> <a href="file:///[...]" target="media" onclick="displayMedia()" title="I probably wanted to do an href to onclick jump here, but probably forgot about it">[...]</a> <span><select><option id="option1">1</option><option id="option2">2</option></select><input type="text" id="thattextfield" style="width: 30px;"></input><button id="randomizer" onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').innerHTML(randInt(1,100))">Random</button><button>OK</button></span> </div> </body> </html>

I just noticed the other unfinished building I forgot to mention as well; that one span at the bottom that has select, text input, and ok - I don't know how to address these and get the information into JS
To get the value of the dropdown's selected value:
Code:
document.getElementById('selectId').value

might want to add an id attribute to that select ;) make your life a hell of a lot easier

As far as getting the rest of the variables on click... you can just grab them in your js file/script. Rather than to pass them along as parameters in your function call inside the onclick event

Is this just how Code Forum works? Decide on one subject the topic has put as an array of questions and lead the whole conversation only on that one aspect for the entire topic? Do I really need to put every question, I have, each into their own thread? For some reason, I can't end sentences without a question mark. :laugh:
Can you elaborate on the value method, for example, what value do I get? Or do I need to use switch()?
What about the video/audio controls or the cookie problems?
I also forgot another problem I have with the blur backdrop of the background going unsynced after a while when the background video is giving the backdrop only 1/5 of the visible area. I thought of a canvas, or to start the blur video every time background did a loop, but I don't know how to do any of that.

Is this just how Code Forum works? Decide on one subject the topic has put as an array of questions and lead the whole conversation only on that one aspect for the entire topic? Do I really need to put every question, I have, each into their own thread? For some reason, I can't end sentences without a question mark. :laugh:
Can you elaborate on the value method, for example, what value do I get? Or do I need to use switch()?
I also forgot another problem I have with the blur backdrop of the background going unsynced after a while when the background video is giving the backdrop only 1/5 of the visible area. I thought of a canvas, or to start the blur video every time background did a loop, but I don't know how to do any of that.
LMMFAO XD I mean, you technically COULD break your questions down into their relevant threads, not necessarily something need to do lol.

OR

Hear me out:
you can continue asking your questions on this thread, as follow up questions, given the fact they are pretty much all still relevant to your original question
:)

value method? are you possibly referring to this?
Code:
document.getElementById('selectId').value

the .value property should get you the currently selected value of the dropdown

I have tried a bunch of things and found out '.value' is used to extract and assign information from any user interaction element.
The thing, however, is that your advice didn't make that clear, it was more like "you can do this doing this" without further elaboration.

I have added a minus and plus button, but only minus works. How can I fix plus?
<button onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').value -= 1">-</button><button onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').value += 1">+</button>

I have tried a bunch of things and found out '.value' is used to extract and assign information from any user interaction element.
The thing, however, is that your advice didn't make that clear, it was more like "you can do this doing this" without further elaboration.

<button onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').value -= 1">-</button><button onclick="document.getElementById('thattextfield').value += 1">+</button>
I mean, in regards to your commentary about "further elaboration", yes, .value does indeed serve 2 purposes, one to set a value when coupled with the =, `myObj.value = someValue`, and the other one to get a value `var thisValue = myObj.value`. As for context, although good to know both, you didn't need commentary about the set functionality, since you were asking `how to get the value of the selected option`.. keyword `GET` :)
1662742710971.png

Last edited:

So to answer your question, and add your commentary about `further elaboration` back...as far as the + is concerned... one thing to remember: it is also overloaded, but much different than a simple get/set as in the case with .value.

functions of + sign in programming languages:
1) regular maths
2) concatenation of strings.

So, in HTML, all the elements will have their values as strings. That means, that when you call
Code:
var currentValue = document.getElementById('thattextfield').value;

the value of currentValue, although me and you interpret it as a number, compoopers are dumb and see it as a string..
so if you entered a 5 and you hit the + button...
you are not adding a 1 to the 5 to make it 6... what you are actually doing is adding a 1 to the string value of "5", making your result
"51". To correct this, you need to parse the number from the string, then make your addition and then set that value as the element value.
so something along the lines of
Code:
var currentValue = document.getElementById('myTextField').value;
var newValue = parseInt(currentValue,10) + 1;
document.getElementById('myTextField').value = newValue;

- button works... to a degree, because it doesn't have an overloaded functionality in programming languages, like the + sign.
Code:
However...always get in the habit of parsing strings if you want to work with numbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom