Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Online Game Design (Yes Again) :D

simong1993

Gold Coder
Staff Team
Guardian
Hey All,

So i have always wanted to build online games with the end goal of building a browser based city building multiplayer game, here is my question. Where do i start? i could read everything online but i must do too learn, i need to build the game while learning about it, brake it, fix it etc etc but i cant find any good tutorials online. Has anyone come across any?

Many Thanks All
Simon

I used to be addicted to trying to build browser games when I was younger. I just woke up so didn't have a proper look but I found this framework that might be some help https://phaser.io/

I'll have a proper look later as I would be slightly interested in finding out more about building browser games as well

Hiya :), i had yes. before i have bought some courses about game design but downloadable games not browser games. At the moment though i haven't got the funds to be spending on a course :(
Some of the courses are really good! And, just make sure it is on sale before buying a course!

im back all, my partner had a baby so i was off for a few days :D i might start with java or html 5 and wait for udemy sales
Congratulations! Don't stop! In the meantime, (of course, give some attention to the newborn) try out FreeCodeCamp or Code Academy to get a basic knowledge of either HTML5 or Java, perhaps even both!

im back all, my partner had a baby so i was off for a few days :D i might start with java or html 5 and wait for udemy sales

If you're looking at Java, I always reach for libGDX (https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/) for my game projects. It's a cross platform library that I believe also exports to web.

Otherwise, as has been suggested, take a look at Phaser. We've used this library for work projects over the last year and it's seemed fairly decent to work with.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your opening post though. Just try to build stuff; that's the best way of learning. Start small :)

I recommend watching ThinMatrix on YouTube. He is currently working on a city building game of his own. It is not using the same languages as you want, but it's a great way to see the actual stages needed. For example, it does not matter what language you write the game in as long as you can build each part of the final product... So, you know your game needs buildings that can upgrade, a way to change camera angle, etc, etc.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you're looking at Java, I always reach for libGDX (https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/) for my game projects. It's a cross platform library that I believe also exports to web.

Otherwise, as has been suggested, take a look at Phaser. We've used this library for work projects over the last year and it's seemed fairly decent to work with.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your opening post though. Just try to build stuff; that's the best way of learning. Start small :)

Would you also recommend any other game dev libraries for C# and C++?

Wondering because I don't have any books on Java yet but Java is something I preferred to study over C based languages. I'd be interested in knowing some good libraries for those 2 languages though for game design. I know that Unity and Unreal Engine are mainly C# and C++ based even though anything can be used including Java I believe if setup right.

What are your suggestions.

I don't do much game development (or C# / C++) so I can't really advise but when I was looking a few weeks ago I was thinking about Unity or MonoGame - both support C#.

Yeah I'm just looking for any types of libraries users would suggest for Unity and Unreal which I would be using C++ or C#. Mainly because if I had a good library I could get started with giving it a go. I checked out that library for java it doesn't look half that bad but can you tell me what program your supposed to use to make the game with libgdx? Could it be used with Unity or Unreal?

With LibGDX you'd be writing in Java and you'd be writing much more by hand. To do so you'd need something like Intellij or Eclipse.

I remember watching this tutorial when I first started:
- it's old now but even just watching to see what you can do with it should give you an idea of what you'd need to be able to do.

Yeah @swift I have IntelliJ just haven't used it yet. I bought everything jetbrains has for an IDE about a year and a half ago. Haven't been able to break into it yet and code anything though. Might have to give it a spin before too long.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom