Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML Opening a PDF file in a frame from a link

RobertWA

Active Coder
I am a beginner with HTML and CSS.

I have a page with two panels. The left panel contains a list of names. For each of these I have a PDF file.

I want to be able to click on a name and have the appropriate PDF open in a frame in the right hand panel, so that the list of names remains permanently on the left of the screen. Clicking a second name in the list should open the relevant PDF, replacing the first one in the frame. I have tried using iframe but I can't see how to get the page to open in the frame - when I click on the name the PDF file opens OK but not in the frame - it takes the full screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Robert

Hey RobertWA,

Could you upload some code please, i think i know what you are trying to do but it would be handy to see your code so i can do some test runs my self :D
Are you targeting the Iframe with the A href when its clicked?

Hi Simong1993,

Thanks for the reply.

I have decided that this question is no longer relevant. What I was trying to achieve was to develop a web page (or pages) to display my family stories which are originally in Word but which I converted to PDF to make the job a bit simpler. Converting my Word files to html and trying to maintain their original appearance was a bit daunting.

However, on reading further I have discovered that using PDFs in this way can create even more problems depending on the user’s browser and its settings. So I have abandoned that idea and will persevere with the html route.

Sorry to have bothered you, and thanks again for reading and replying to my message.

Cheers

Robert

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom