Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PSA: Oxygen-Software, End-Of-Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 205

Hey everyone.

As of today, I have bad news. As you can probably tell by the title of this Thread, Oxygen-Software(My FOSS Organization/Group that I started just a month ago), is now shutting-down.

I'll explain why it's happening and what will happen in the future.

Why Is Oxygen Ceasing Operations?
This is the Question that will have immediately popped into your head as soon as you saw this Post. Let me explain.

When I started Oxygen, I was extremely active in it. I was setting-up a couple of Projects, built the Website, wrote Documents on things like the Coding-Style and even the Manifesto that declared Oxygen. But, pass on into October, I have been extremely inactive with it. I have barely done any Development on any of Oxygen's Projects and the Website received Updates more slowly. The reason that I have been inactive is because of Procrastination. I know that Oxygen has an ongoing Project(WebBox - A Fork of WebWareBox) and I keep on saying to myself: "I'll work on it later". Yet, that continuously repeats in my head and as a result, I haven't even done a single drop of actual work on it. I have recently started Development of Version 0.2 of WebBox but even then, it will take forever to finish it all because of me, Procrastinating.

Because of my Procrastination, I no longer have the incentive to do any more work on Oxygen. I have constantly pushed Tasks back and instead slacked-off, doing other things like living my daily-life or chilling on the PS4 and chatting with friends. Another reason, is that I don't think Oxygen is going to make it big. Yes, it takes a while to build-up a following and then making sure that the people who are now following you, stay with you. But for Oxygen, I don't see it happening.

I have had too many grand ambitions for Oxygen but I don't see any of it working out or happening at all. I guess my ambitiousness got to me again and yet, reality has hit me with a car and I wake-up out of a nightmare, realizing that none of that happened or is it ever going to happen. I'm also not experienced with Programming-Languages that are Oxygen's Main-Languages(C, Java and PHP). C, I'm starting to become more fluent in but I need more practice. Java, need to further learn and PHP.....Don't know a thing. My amateurish Programming-Skills is also what held Oxygen back from moving forward.

What Will Happen To Oxygen's Projects?
This is probably another Question that may have popped-up into your head.

As for Oxygen's Projects, they'll all be deleted on the date that Operations have ceased(Read on for the Date that Operations will cease). WebBox and the Website will be scrapped and deleted. Titanium-Wiki(Which never got far), will also be scrapped. As I mentioned earlier, WebBox is a Fork of my old Project, WebWareBox. So if you want to Develop that, then you're free to make your own Fork of it.

It's sad to see all of this hard work go to waste but unfortunately, that's how the Tech and FOSS Industries work. We make something and at some point, all of the hard work is going to be scrapped, shredded and flushed down the toilet.

When Exactly, Will Oxygen Cease Operations?
Again, another Question that you may have.

I have decided that, tomorrow, Friday 1st November 2019, will be the Date that Oxygen will cease Operations and will be turned to ashes and dust. There is no specific time for when it will happen on that Date, but you can expect it to happen between 6 - 8PM.

Will Oxygen Ever Return?
Good Question.

I highly doubt it will return. If it does return, it will be at some point in the future. But when that day does come for the return of Oxygen, it will probably be under a different name. And who knows, at that point, I'll probably have a wife and kids and will be too busy to do something like Oxygen, which will require serious dedication and management.

It's sad to see Oxygen go. I sank a good amount of work into it but again, Procrastination, life and other stuff caught up with me and thus' I have to just let go. But as a present, I am uploading the Files for Oxygen's Coding-Style, way of Versioning, Privacy and the original Manifesto. All for your reading and to maybe include the Manifesto in Projects of your own(Except the Manifesto. That's ONLY, for reading).

Attachments

• Coding-Style.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Oxygen Manifesto.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
  • privacy.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Versioning.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
Hello, Can I be the new owner of Oxygen?!
1. No.
2. Repeat No. 1 a billion times but sound increasingly more angry and tense.

Yeah....First of all, I would never give Oxygen to somebody who doesn't have any Programming-Experience or has no knowledge of a single Programming-Language at all. I'd be stupid to do such a thing. I would also not give it to a person who steals Assets from other Sites and claim those Assets as their own.

Secondly, I would only give Oxygen away if I had even specified that it was up for grabs in the Original-Post. I haven't mentioned it being up for grabs and I doubt it will be up for grabs anytime soon. Maybe I'll change my mind and give it away later to somebody who actually has Programming-Experience and knows a couple of Programming-Languages.

If I were to give Oxygen away, again, it would be to someone who:
  • Is confident that they can take on something so big.
  • Has the time to devote to Oxygen and work on expanding and growing it.
  • Has knowledge of a couple of Programming-Language(Preferably 2 or 3 Languages - Preferably Java, C or PHP as those were Oxygen's main Languages used but other Languages such as Perl, Ruby and Python count).
  • Knows what the hell they're getting into.
I would only give it to people who fell under what I've listed above. And so far, the only people I know who would be applicable to that is @Ghost and maybe @Malcolm and @joe(Both Malcolm and Ghost helped me with the WebWareBox Project and Joe gave the Oxygen Website a massive make-over. Malcolm only seems to know HTML and CSS so I'd need to wait and see if he can learn any other Languages to apply. Ghost, again, seems applicable but I know that he's too busy with his Company and personal-life to take on Oxygen[Malcolm is also quite busy]. Joe, he seems to be a Web-Developer so he could maybe create Oxygen's Software using a Framework like Electron[But I don't know how busy Joe is]).

The people I've listed above are the only ones who seem applicable or are close to being applicable to take on the Role as Leader of Oxygen. But again, Oxygen is currently not up for grabs and if I planned for it to be up for grabs, I'd need to select candidates for the Role, find out who seemed fit for the Role(Based on Programming-Knowledge, what have they Developed in the past and if they have lead any other Projects) and I'd also need to see if they're busy with other things most of the time.

But one thing is for sure. I am definitely not handing it to you and I think it's quite obvious that I'm not giving you Leadership of any of my Projects at this point in time.

Was only asking. Just wanted to know how you might react. that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was only asking.
Was only asking.
Was only asking.
Was only asking.
Are you sure you were only asking? Because whenever somebody asks: "Oh, can I please be the new Owner", more than likely, they do want to be the new Owner and do jack-sh*t with it after becoming the new Owner. And when that person who asked to be Owner, as I said, they do nothing and just want to feel famous and powerful. Like they're a God or something.

Just wanted to know how you might react. that's all.
Seems like you wanted to p*ss me off or something and get a Reaction out of me. I know people who do that and I hate it. And I would suggest that you don't do it either before I end-up getting us both into trouble.

Its sad to see Oxygen shutting down. The project was very promising and I didn't expect it to end like this.
Oxygen had given me chance to enter the world of open source community and I'll be thankful to it, always! Wish I could contribute more towards it. Unfortunately recently I have been caught up in other things and can't find spare time for open source projects.

Are you sure you were only asking? Because whenever somebody asks: "Oh, can I please be the new Owner", more than likely, they do want to be the new Owner and do jack-sh*t with it after becoming the new Owner. And when that person who asked to be Owner, as I said, they do nothing and just want to feel famous and powerful. Like they're a God or something.

Seems like you wanted to p*ss me off or something and get a Reaction out of me. I know people who do that and I hate it. And I would suggest that you don't do it either before I end-up getting us both into trouble.
Come on guys.. We are a community, learn to work together.

Its sad to see Oxygen shutting down. The project was very promising and I didn't expect it to end like this.
Oxygen had given me chance to enter the world of open source community and I'll be thankful to it, always! Wish I could contribute more towards it. Unfortunately recently I have been caught up in other things and can't find spare time for open source projects.
I'm also quite sad that I've had to shut everything down for good. I did have fears of it shutting down early and even later in it's life but the early bird seems to have caught the worm.

I'm happy to have helped you get into FOSS Development. Even if you are busy, just remember, with FOSS Development, you aren't on a schedule(Unless it's a FOSS-Company Project or you're the Lead/Co-Maintainer of a Project).

Come on guys.. We are a community, learn to work together.
I'm gonna be honest here, I wouldn't mind working with @Weboogle. But, him saying things like: "Can I be the new Owner?" and how low-quality his Posts are, essentially stop me from working with him.

But this Thread is not about me or him. So, let's keep this for some other time.

Let's not keep this for some other time. I got plenty of time. Type away!

I would never give Oxygen to somebody who doesn't have any Programming-Experience or has no knowledge of a single Programming-Language at all
To be honest it doesn't look like you have much experience either. I've seen a few bits of your code and you're not in any position really, just because you wrote some standards pretty much copied from every normal standard with the exception of having 5 spaces instead of a 4 or whatever you made up. Plus i've been checking the forums out every so often and when I do it looks like you have abandoned your old project for another one, looks like you can't even keep something going for longer than a few months at top.

I thought this was meant to be a community to help each other, seems like you just went out of your way to try embarrass him, I suggest an apology to him and delete your post of look like an a** in front of everyone.

Plus i've been checking the forums out every so often and when I do it looks like you have abandoned your old project for another one, looks like you can't even keep something going for longer than a few months at top.
The reason that happens, is because of the following reasons:
  • I lose interest and become bored with the Project.
  • I give it up because I don't think it's going to succeed.
  • I just give it up and maybe save it for later.
  • Or I just lose the incentive to work on it.
Those are all of the reasons I give-up Projects. I'm pretty sure there are some other reasons but I can't think of any other reasons. Besides, my longest running Project so far, has been WebWareBox(It lasted about 3-4 Months). But just because I give up on one Project so fast, doesn't mean that I cannot keep one going for longer than the previous.

I thought this was meant to be a community to help each other, seems like you just went out of your way to try embarrass him, I suggest an apology to him and delete your post of look like an a** in front of everyone.
CF is a Community that is meant to help each other. And I love helping and assisting other people with stuff. And believe me, the way I act to him is not the way I act to others in real-life(That is unless, I don't like or hate that person for whatever reason). But, I have constantly gotten myself into trouble because of him. If I never stumbled upon him or met him and he wasn't making too many generic Forums and sharing too many Ideas that he cannot purse himself, then maybe I wouldn't be the Actor in a total sh*t-show.

I have a lot of issues with @Weboogle and unless he stops making too many crappy Websites, learns some Programming and actually starts making some better quality Posts then maybe I'll start to be friends with him. But for now, I am not going to be friends with him and I refuse to offer an apology.

But just because I give up on one Project so fast, doesn't mean that I cannot keep one going for longer than the previous.
Yet you have no project to support this statement.

I have a lot of issues with @Weboogle and unless he stops making too many crappy Websites, learns some Programming and actually starts making some better quality Posts then maybe I'll start to be friends with him. But for now, I am not going to be friends with him and I refuse to offer an apology.
You keep saying about better quality of posts, but your posts are riddled with random words having capital letters?

Programming
Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom