Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Run program without any thing installed?

DevKourav

New Coder
Recently I have been making many useful programs, And I wanted to share these with my friends but in order to do that I first need to install that programming language on their computer. so I have been wondering that how could I code programs that don't require me to install something else.
meaning in order to run that program you only need to run a setup once and then you can use that program.

What programming language are you writing in? And I'm guessing this is all for Windows ...
Depending on the language you're using and its requirements of the OS (Is it a graphical app? A HTML page app?) you can usually find something that will bundle your program with the necessary files, which your friends can then download and run.
If you're writing in C# and your group are all using Windows, it should be straightforward compile your program into a standalone application and hand around. You'll just need to make sure that people using your app have the correct version of .NET installed for whatever version you compiled your program against.
Java apps can be self contained too (packaged as JAR files), but rely on the Java runtime environment to be installed on the target system.
Python ... I'll have to look into the best way to do that. Maybe it would depend on if it's a "simple" command line app or if it's something GUI based.
Javascript and node: I guess it should be straightforward to distribute node with your javascript app.
hmm, what other languages? There are some less popular ones, it all depends on the language your using and the tools you're using to run your application.

I picked [HTML + javascript + optional server side scripting] exactly for that reason. Everyone has a web browser, they just have to visit my web site, and voila... PCs, tablets, phones on Windows, Linux, Os X, Android, IOS, all of those should work with minor adjustments. Though it may not be the most cozy combination for programming, and it may be even restricting in some cases - read speed performance, permanent disk storage, and some crazy low level hardware stuff I'd like to get my hands on. Otherwise, noted development combination is capable of doing anything that other languages can do.

Last edited:
What programming language are you writing in? And I'm guessing this is all for Windows ...
Depending on the language you're using and its requirements of the OS (Is it a graphical app? A HTML page app?) you can usually find something that will bundle your program with the necessary files, which your friends can then download and run.
If you're writing in C# and your group are all using Windows, it should be straightforward compile your program into a standalone application and hand around. You'll just need to make sure that people using your app have the correct version of .NET installed for whatever version you compiled your program against.
Java apps can be self contained too (packaged as JAR files), but rely on the Java runtime environment to be installed on the target system.
Python ... I'll have to look into the best way to do that. Maybe it would depend on if it's a "simple" command line app or if it's something GUI based.
Javascript and node: I guess it should be straightforward to distribute node with your javascript app.
hmm, what other languages? There are some less popular ones, it all depends on the language your using and the tools you're using to run your application.
Thank You so much and yes it's all windows and i use python because I have read a book called automate the boring stuff with python.
but it is very slow so I will learn c++ now

Recently I have been making many useful programs, And I wanted to share these with my friends but in order to do that I first need to install that programming language on their computer. so I have been wondering that how could I code programs that don't require me to install something else.
meaning in order to run that program you only need to run a setup once and then you can use that program.
If you are working in C# and visual studio, and the target machines have Windows installed, you can add an installer project on your project, to make things a little more professional. What this does, is it will compile your project under a setup.msi or setup.exe file, depending on your choosing. This will act like any other installation program... once you click on the file, it will show the installation prompt, ask the user to select a directory for installation, and place all resources onto that directory. You can set it up to create a shortcut on the user's desktop, so they don't have to dig up the "program.exe" file after installation. Below is the link to the setup process as per stack overflow...

If you're working with python, and the target machines have Windows installed, unfortunately Windows does not have python preinstalled.. so they would have to either install python, or you can use a library that converts a python script into an executable file for Windows, py2exe.. see link below.

Last edited:

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom