Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Running XAMPP on windows can be dead slow and make you frustrate

Dnyan

Coder
Doing a development on windows using XAMPP with default install on windows can give you a nightmares due to its dead slow speed of processing.
I too had same issue of slow processing speed on XAMPP.

I too did a lot of googling for solution to increase the speed.
At most of the places its showed that in etc conf file uncommenting the routing of 127.0.0.1 to local host solved the problem of many.

Increasing memory pool of innon db to 1G also made little improvement to many.

Personally i haven't seen any such improvements and also tried lot of changes like this.

Once i was just looking at my httpd-xampp.conf file and what i found is really a game changer.

At server name i found localhost 80

and i was always using 127.0.0.1/ to browse the files

so i changed localhost to 127.0.0.1, saved the changes and restarted the XAMPP.

Trust me, now i am getting a super lighting fast speed.

If you browse through localhost for your development in url, do ensure your httpd.conf file to have same server name.

i use 127.0.0.1, so i changed it to that in server name.

This is what i understood, if you want system to resolve name and redirect you to data, it gonna take time to find hit.

If you hit the same url address as you put into httpd-xampp.conf file, it directly gets connected and gives you super-fast results.

At server name i found localhost 80

and i was always using 127.0.0.1/ to browse the files

so i changed localhost to 127.0.0.1, saved the changes and restarted the XAMPP.
Normally localhost should always resolve to 127.0.0.1 as default O_O

This is what i understood, if you want system to resolve name and redirect you to data, it gonna take time to find hit.
This sounds like an issue with an dns server, as it should only take a couple ms

Doing a development on windows using XAMPP with default install on windows can give you a nightmares due to its dead slow speed of processing.
I too had same issue of slow processing speed on XAMPP.
XAMPP loads a lot of stuff you often don't need. I personally use docker virtualized webservers or run it in a linux vm.

I currently run XAMPP on both my machines (View my PC Specs here) and don't have any issues. Perhaps on my laptop, it's a little slow, but that's due to my laptop not being too powerful. Could your issues be related to your computer specifications?

Don't know its a system specific problem or something else but editing the httpd.xampp.conf file did helped me to make it super-fast load on local environment, faster than a server where my website is hosted.

Hmm interesting.. I would imagine that it would have been computer specs because XAMPP pretty much converts your computer into a server. I'm interested in how you set that up to work faster!

I am am using xampp on Windows and on Laptop my whole life and didn't get any problems like you mention.

Try with different machine or switch to wampserver.

Interesting, I have never had an issue running a local server, aside from experimenting off of an external drive that is connected via USB that ran slower than being directly connected inside the computer.

Interesting, I have never had an issue running a local server, aside from experimenting off of an external drive that is connected via USB that ran slower than being directly connected inside the computer.
Yeah, the data cables can make such a huge difference

I remember running XAMPP on Windows all because I couldn't get WAMP Server to work. I'm pretty sure that after XAMPP was installed, I couldn't figure out how to add my Web-Pages to it so I just gave up. Managed to get WAMP Server running after that as for me, WAMP is a lot easier than XAMPP.

I've been using XAMPP for something like 10+ years and never had performance issues on Windows. I never really tried using 127.0.0.1/ , I've always used localhost/ instead and its been fine.

Try Laragon, much faster.

Try Laragon, much faster.
Interesting.. I've never heard of laragon. How long have you been using it?

I've never heard of it either. I take it that it's like other Server Tools like XAMPP?

Thanks for the tip. How much faster does it run? I must be in complete luck that I ran into this thread as I would have eventually asked the same question on how to increase the speed. I am in all honesty so annoyed at how slow my xampp installation runs so I will give this a try and edit that file.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom