Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Safe way to store password in open source app

lorli

Coder
I was thinking about making my terminal password manager and I want to make every of my apps +- good. So what I want is to store password for example hashed in file, but someone can just look at the code on my pc and see what I did to hash it and just unhash (Probably nobody will ever do that, but as I said I want to make it some safe). Is there a way to store it safely when someone can just look at source code of my app? (probably no way to do it) (sorry for maybe bad English)

Solution
I was thinking about making my terminal password manager and I want to make every of my apps +- good. So what I want is to store password for example hashed in file, but someone can just look at the code on my pc and see what I did to hash it and just unhash (Probably nobody will ever do that, but as I said I want to make it some safe). Is there a way to store it safely when someone can just look at source code of my app? (probably no way to do it) (sorry for maybe bad English)
Hi there,
Unfortunately, if someone manages to compromise your system, well, they have the keys to the kingdom. As far as "unhashing" is concerned... that is not possible. Hashing is known as a "one way" algo due to the fact that you cannot reverse...
Hi there,
Unfortunately, if someone manages to compromise your system, well, they have the keys to the kingdom. As far as "unhashing" is concerned... that is not possible. Hashing is known as a "one way" algo due to the fact that you cannot reverse engineer the hash to get the original input. So as far as storing your passwords are concerned, you should be fine like that. Even if someone does manage to get the code and figure out the hashing algo used, provided that you used a strong hashing algo, they would still have no way of figuring out the password, unless they wanted to sit there and do a bruteforce/rainbow table attack on the hashes.

Solution

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom