Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Search engines

A Search-Engine is no easy Task. I bet if you were to ask Larry Page and Sergey Brin(Creators of Google) how hard it was, I bet they would say that it was very difficult.

Imagine you, sitting at a Computer, trying to index all of the WorldWideWeb's 1.8 Billion+ Pages into a Search-Engine. That would be incredibly difficult. At the same time, you'd have to deal with things such as how your Search-Algorithm will work and manage how Keywords will relate to a User's Search.

But in today's World, we don't really need a new Search-Engine. We've got Bing, Google, DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Yahoo! and a few other Search-Engines that are all doing quite well. Again, a Search-Engine is not easy to build. So it's best not to bother with it.

I looked into this 'DuckDuckGo' and when you make a search you would get directed to their website. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be interested in.

Just like what @Arvid mentioned; Creating a Search Engine is definitely no easy task. You'd have to build an algorithm that will display many search results related to what the user is searching for, how will it display the information etc.

I'm not an expert on things like this but perhaps another member with more experience can help out with this.

Yes, he can embed the DuckDuckGo Search-Engine for his Users to use in his Website. That would be quite good for People who value their Privacy as DuckDuckGo is a Privacy-Focused Search-Engine.

But it won't really make a difference as all you're doing is embedding the Scripts for a Search-Engine into your own Site. You're not building one yourself. Look at w3schools.com. They have a Search-Engine which is powered by Google. If I were to search up 'Wikipedia' on the Google-Powered Search-Engine on w3Schools, it would bring up results that you would find on Google.

Looking at Search-Engines like Google, Yahoo! and Bing, they all seem to use either PHP or ASP.net. These are both complex Languages that I would not recommend for beginners to try and learn. Now I myself haven't learned about these Languages but going by their Syntax, they aren't easy.

Of course, to make a Search-Engine, you'd need to know PHP or ASP.net to create it. You can't just make the Search-Box with HTML and CSS then control what Keywords are put in via JavaScript(That is actually a poor Method of making a Search-Engine).

Going back to what I said before, you'd need to create an Algorithm for how your Sites are Ranked. You'd need to make it so frequently visited Sites(E.g. wikipedia.org) are Ranked higher because they get more Searches than other Wikis. You'll also need to use CSS for adjusting and modifying things(E.g. How Round your Search-Box is, the Position of your Information-Panels etc.)

Again, it's best not to bother making a Search-Engine. Unless it will have something "Revolutionary", I suggest that you scrap the Idea and just stick to regular Websites that can be ranked by Google, Bing, Yahoo! etc.

Yeah, I’m aware that it can be embedded. I was merely just pointing out the fact that it’ll redirect you to their search engine page.

What sort of privacy policies does DuckDuckGo provide? Haven’t had the chance to look over it. Anything that stands out compared to Bing, Google etc?

Ah, right. Okay.

Now as for DuckDuckGo, they say that they don't track you and do not record your Search-History. This also means that whatever you Search on the Internet, won't be traced back to you and it also means that you won't get Advertisements delivered to you based on your Search-History. The only thing they seem to collect though is your IP-Address.

You can read their Policy here:
I have used DuckDuckGo before and trust me. It's a great Search-Engine(Especially for someone who is so concerned about Privacy[AKA: Me]). In fact, just talking about the Engine is making me wanting to switch back. I'm currently using Google again at the moment. Mainly due to how it provides better Search-Results and the fact that they promised to help better Privacy(But that does sound a bit sketchy).

No, it isn't worth a shot. You're going to be wasting time for a Search-Engine that the Internet won't even use. It will just be another generic Search-Engine like Google, Bing and Yahoo!

Now I'm not trying to be rude here but knowing you and what you've made and said in the past, you won't be able to make a Search-Engine. Not with some poor Web-Builder or HTML5 you can't. So if you want to make a Search-Engine, learn PHP and whatever other Programming-Language or scrap the Idea. It's not worth it and it won't succeed.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom