Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The new software for my job sucks. I want to fix that

meterman

New Coder
Whats up!!!

I always had the aptitude for geek stuff. I've always had Attention deficit disorder. Learning things like coding was never possible. I just got diagnosed and medicated..and holy cow can I think right...

My work just got new hardware and software. It all sucks. The devices suck. The touchscreens dont work in the heat and rain. I've already had to figure out my employer isnt going to get rid of them...so I took it upon myself to figure out how to get rid of the tablets myself. I now throw it in a bag and interface with it with a wireless number pad, a handheld mouse, and I wear a heads up display. I read meters for utility companies. Before we had proprietary devices. Worked with ZERO problems. I read around 1,000 meters per day and got my job done in 10 days. Now I barely get it done in 18 (the max I can spend on it) and read about 400 per day. Sometimes 800...So I'm doing what i've always wanted. Make software!!

Now that i have my ADD meds I can actually think and focus. I have practical features that I need in my meter reading software. Features that would make the job easier for me. I know what problems my supervisors have. I have features that can make us as a while work better. Whoever designed our meter reading software...must not really understand what struggles we have in our jobs because I already thought up of common sense things we could have in our software...that just isnt there.

So. I'm already impressing my higher ups with what I've done to solve my tablet problems. I have taught myself everything. I self-taught everything I know. So now its coding! I never knew what software to make. I know the most successful things people can do is make software to solve a problem they have, and its likely a problem others have. I now have a pretty darn good problem to fix with software...

So I think I might have a go at learning java. I'm not sure what language is good for my use-case. I know nothing about coding so thats what I gotta figure that out first. The reading software we use is open source. My nerd friend found a bunch of APKs for it. I'm excited. My job already kicks butt. Now I'll be running around developing and testing software for it. Probably wont feel like a job anymore =D

I already get told im their number 1 guy often...So...wish me luck =D I know nothing about this stuff. Hope I can find some good people to help here.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom