Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unable to Solve SQL Query Interview Question

Pony2

Coder
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty solving a SQL query question that I recently encountered online. I'm trying to write a query that will return the sum of all odd integers from 1 to 100, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Here is the code I have so far:

SELECT SUM(column_name)
FROM table_name
WHERE column_name % 2 != 0;

I'm not sure if this is the correct approach or if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Approach is to initialize a num with 1 and sum with 0 and keep incrementing num by 2 and sum by num until num <= N.

num NUMBER(3) = 1;
sum1 NUMBER(4) = 0;
WHILE num <= 5 LOOP
dbms_output.Put_line(num);

sum1 = sum1 + num;
num = num + 2;
END LOOP;
dbms_output.Put_line('Sum of all odd numbers is '|| sum1);
END;
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty solving a SQL query question that I recently encountered online. I'm trying to write a query that will return the sum of all odd integers from 1 to 100, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Here is the code I have so far:

SELECT SUM(column_name)
FROM table_name
WHERE column_name % 2 != 0;

I'm not sure if this is the correct approach or if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Good shot @Sudo_coder12 ! This is probably the right answer, as the question just asks for a computation without the need for having a table.
If you actually have a table with numbers 1..100, the solution suggested by the OP works beautifully.

The code you provided is written in PL/SQL, a procedural language used in Oracle databases. It appears to be a program that calculates the sum of all odd numbers up to a given limit (5 in this case).

Here's a breakdown of the code:

1. The variables `num` and `sum1` are declared and initialized to 1 and 0, respectively.
2. The `WHILE` loop is used to iterate as long as `num` is less than or equal to 5.
3. Inside the loop, the value of `num` is printed using `dbms_output.put_line()`.
4. The sum is calculated by adding `num` to `sum1`.
5. `num` is incremented by 2.
6. The loop continues until `num` exceeds 5.
7. Finally, the total sum of the odd numbers is printed using `dbms_output.put_line()`.

Please note that this code snippet is specific to Oracle's PL/SQL language and requires the use of the `dbms_output` package to display the output.
Approach is to initialize a num with 1 and sum with 0 and keep incrementing num by 2 and sum by num until num <= N.

num NUMBER(3) = 1;
sum1 NUMBER(4) = 0;
WHILE num <= 5 LOOP
dbms_output.Put_line(num);

sum1 = sum1 + num;
num = num + 2;
END LOOP;
dbms_output.Put_line('Sum of all odd numbers is '|| sum1);
END;

You're right @Pony2 . I did not pick up on that fact. Not sure now that this answer would qualify, as it is not SQL, strictly speaking. I could not find the original interview question to see what exactly they were asking. Strange thing to want to do in SQL anyway.... It seems more like a beginner's exercise one would do in JS or Python.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom