Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TableFlipGod

Bronze Coder
Hey, I would like to request an api for use of codeforum. This would be extremely helpful especially when users want to make a bot or something to watch threads and note if there are new ones out.

Thanks, Table the discord bot coder!

@TableFlipGod @James Unfortunately I don't think I can provide the API for Code Forum. To be honest, I'm not all too familiar with API's and look at it to be a security issue.
I myself never believed that an API could be provided for CF. In fact, there isn't really going to be a use for it.

And there are other APIs out there that can be used to make a Bot to monitor Forums but I doubt @Malcolm would want Bots on CF.

I myself never believed that an API could be provided for CF. In fact, there isn't really going to be a use for it.

And there are other APIs out there that can be used to make a Bot to monitor Forums but I doubt @Malcolm would want Bots on CF.
This isnt for codeforum, this refers to gaining data of codeforum and using it for 3rd party use. (eg. Discord)

This isnt for codeforum, this refers to gaining data of codeforum and using it for 3rd party use. (eg. Discord)
I'm gonna be honest here. That sounds sketchy.

Why do you need access to User Info and Data? And why use it for 3rd Parties? The fact that you're going to be collecting Data from CF is really off and I doubt @Malcolm would allow such a thing to happen.

@Malcolm, even mentioned that he sees APIs as a Security-Risk. And I believe using an API to collect Data falls under Security-Issues.

I'm gonna be honest here. That sounds sketchy.

Why do you need access to User Info and Data? And why use it for 3rd Parties? The fact that you're going to be collecting Data from CF is really off and I doubt @Malcolm would allow such a thing to happen.

@Malcolm, even mentioned that he sees APIs as a Security-Risk. And I believe using an API to collect Data falls under Security-Issues.
Why does it sound sketchy? It could be used for analytics. And A ton of other things, as a friend of malcolm he would know I wouldnt do such a thing. But I do understand how there are security risks for everything.

Why does it sound sketchy? It could be used for analytics. And A ton of other things, as a friend of malcolm he would know I wouldnt do such a thing. But I do understand how there are security risks for everything.
Even if you promise to not use it for anything bad, it still sounds sketchy. Hell, it doesn't even matter as @Malcolm said that he probably won't provide an API anyway.

And for Privacy-Concious people like me and @Tealk, we wouldn't like our Data being collected. No matter it's purpose.

Define what data.
Okay then. Here's what I mean by Data:
  • Username
  • Email
  • Date Of Birth
  • IP Address
  • Country
  • Profile Description
  • Skills
  • Career
  • Posts and Replies
That's essentially all of the Data that you could collect if an API was made for gathering Data from CF.

Okay then. Here's what I mean by Data:
  • Username
  • Email
  • Date Of Birth
  • IP Address
  • Country
  • Profile Description
  • Skills
  • Career
  • Posts and Replies
That's essentially all of the Data that you could collect if an API was made for gathering Data from CF.
Ahh, I see. What i meant was Getting posts and basic stuff like that but i can understand.

Ahh, I see. What i meant was Getting posts and basic stuff like that but i can understand.
Well I would advise that you do specify something like that when talking about things like Data-Collection and 3rd Parties.

As I said, there are Privacy-Concious people like me who do not like such Info being collected and shared with outside Sources. Hell, I don't even like the fact that my Posts are going to be collected and shared.

Too risky. It’s like giving admin permission on your site.

Even if you "only" forward observed contributions and alerts, a provider can easily create a profile from them. Therefore you should be careful with it.
Unfortunately I only have German articles but this is very interesting in this context:

Since @Malcolm has said that he probably won't provide an API for CF, I think it'd be best to close this Thread now.

Not to mention the fact that you're going to be using it to collect Data and then share it with 3rd Parties.

@Malcolm, since you won't be developing an API with the lack of(But so far negative), Feedback on the idea, it would be best to close this Thread down.

Thanks.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom