Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ghost

Platinum Coder
The first Mac I owned was an iBook G4 in middle school. They were required by the school, so every family did a rent-to-own plan with the school. In 6th grade we used school owned laptops to learn how to use them, how to take care of them, etc. In 7th we rented, and by 8th grade we owned them. It was very cool because I learned how to use things like Photoshop, iMovie, all the Microsoft products, and even things like Dreamweaver by the end of 8th grade. Since every student was required to own the same laptop, every single class we took had us using our laptops to take notes, plan projects, create presentations, and even create websites and short videos instead of boring poster boards & slideshows.

After that I owned a MacBook Air, but that wasn't until my college days when I was around 18 or 19.
Both are long broken, so I use a variety of Windows PCs & laptops / 1 Linux Laptop now.

What about you all?

I've never owned an iMac/MacBook. I've always stuck to Windows PCs.

The main reason being, it's Apple and the Macs are overpriced. I hate Apple Products like the iPhone. I also hate how expensive they are. Another thing is that Apple loves to control you and try and lock you into their Eco-System.

I used to want a MacBook but not anymore.

Yes, both at work and home. For home i'm just using it for netflix and basic browsing or using it as a build server for projects that will be for Mac/iOS.

I haven't check the specs for the iMac at work but the one I have here at home is a Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2018 & Touch Bar. While the macbook is ok and you might be able to even do little bit heavier development I have and prefer a gaming/workstation PC so I rarely use it. :Rofl:

Windows PC all the way.
What are some of your favorite things about Windows?
For me, I like how much software is available for it. Of course, there is plenty of software for Mac, but when I had my first Mac there was a lot of software and games that were only available for Windows and it was fairly annoying. Especially the amateur software developers were coding specifically for Windows instead of Mac.

Windows PC all the way.
GNU/Linux PC all the way.

What I love about GNU/Linux is how it's FOSS(Free and Open-Source Software). You essentially have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. Customize it, modify it, anything really.

I also find it great for Programming on. Programming in C on Windows was a bloody nightmare.

Another thing I love is that there is no Spyware(Except for Ubuntu and the GNOME DE). GNU/Linux lets me get away from all of the Data-Collection Microsoft does. Although, I do still use some of their Products like Outlook.

I'm currently using a 2010 MacBook Pro that I've upgraded to 1TB SSD and 8GB RAM. I initially wanted to get into iOS and mac development but I don't like the screen resolution for development (1280x800). I could hook it up to an external monitor but that's too much of a pain. It's showing it's age now - can't get the latest OS for it, but it is speedy enough for the stuff that I do use it for. There are web pages that make it start to heat up - make the fan kick into high gear. It's more like a usable portable storage device now, but I guess I can do some basic web development and other simple development on it.
I inherited a 2010 iMac earlier this year and I tried to upgrade the components in it. Got a 4TB HDD and gave it 8GB RAM, but it started crashing - and this type of crashing makes Windows BSOD's look tame: it would freeze, the speakers would start to crackle, then start to beep very loudly 3 times (scared the household). I've had to yank the power cord out to get it to shut up. That would've been a good desktop development environment (full HD screen) but I just don't trust it now. I took out the 4TB HDD and reused it to store Steam games on my Windows PC.
I like the OS, and if I were to get an Apple computer these days it would have to be the iMac or maybe the upcoming Mac Pro, if I was swimming in money.

GNU/Linux PC all the way.

What I love about GNU/Linux is how it's FOSS(Free and Open-Source Software). You essentially have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. Customize it, modify it, anything really.

I also find it great for Programming on. Programming in C on Windows was a bloody nightmare.

Another thing I love is that there is no Spyware(Except for Ubuntu and the GNOME DE). GNU/Linux lets me get away from all of the Data-Collection Microsoft does. Although, I do still use some of their Products like Outlook.
YEah, I have tried C and C++, etc on Windows and I find it super annoying. I am used to being able to run my code very quickly with PHP, Python, Node.js, and even Java... compiling is fine, but I always run into issues with the Cs. It's hardly ever a code issue - it's usually a problem with an IDE. I can't find one that works without me needing to constantly look up info on Google

Never i am a man of habit started with windows xp staying with windows xd who has time to learn new things this days to much of a struggle haha (i am a slow learner that's why :p )sometimes i prefer to stick to what i know than trying new stuff and dont know what i am doing , i mean still idk what i am doing but anyways haha

I hated having to install MinGW on Windows just to write a .c File in Code::Blocks. Windows should have a C Compiler pre-installed just to save the hassle.

Java and Python are easy to run too as you just need to do a quick install and maybe set-up a few things after. But setting-up Python and Java in my opinion, is much easier than setting-up C on Windows.

Ive had a few in my life time!

First one was our family computer, a second-gen Intel iMac (17"/Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz/1GB RAM/160GB HDD). Thats is the computer I started coding and doing web design on! It's also still alive to this day. Its had a power supply replacement and a slight RAM upgrade (to 2.5gb) but it's still chuggin'.

When I was 14? or so I got my first laptop which was also an iBook G4(used). First computer I ever bought for myself and I was so proud of it. It was the 14", with the 1.4Ghz G4, 1GB of RAM and a 80gb 4200RPM(why) HDD. It was slow as hell but I loved it so much. I wish I kept it :(

Last one was a late-2012 Macbook Pro 13" base model. Intel Core i5 HT dual-core, 4GB of 1600Mhz DDR3, 500GB HDD. I later upgraded it to 8GB of RAM and a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD. It was quite the computer after that.

Unfortunately I had to sell it 'cuz school is expensive :( ... and I owned too many computers.

--

Overall, I much prefer the software experience of Mac OS over Windows. Everything just works so well and for a long time Macs came bundled with some pretty rad software out of the box. If I had the funds to do so I'd love to pickup a Mac Mini or used Macbook.

Last edited:
I used to own a MacBook Pro 2011, I absolutely loved it but then had issues with boot up and was too expensive to repair nor buy a replacement.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd get one for myself.
I mean, although I'm Anti-Apple, I guess this also applies to me. Apple Products are just too damn expensive. I'm in no way, paying £1000+ for a Computer nor' am I paying £700+ for a Smartphone. That's outrageous and the Prices are one of the reasons why I'm Anti-Apple.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom