Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Java How can I control Spotify-Desktop with Java?

Hi there!
I am trying to make a java-program to control the Desktop Spotify-Program... not with the Web-API... it should't need to be a premium spotify-account. I don't know how to do...
anybody ideas? :)

Hey there. I haven't seen you yet but, welcome to CodeForum.org!

Anyways, as for your Question...

At first, I thought Spotify was built on something like Electron. But after looking at their Careers that are available, it appears that they do use Java for some of their stuff so that's something.

But, it appears that Spotify only has a Web-API and not a native Desktop-API. So, if you wanted to use an API then you're unfortunately, out of luck. Secondly, Spotify is Proprietary-Software. So, if you wanted to figure out how to control the Desktop-Program and make Mods for it, you'd need access to the Source-Code. Unfortunately, only Spotify has access to this Source-Code so learning Spotify's Code to try and modify it is essentially impossible and you'd need to work there just to get access to that Source-Code.

But, if you did work there and you modified that Source-Code and released a Modified-Version of Spotify to the world or only used it for Personal-Use, you'd probably be fired.

I think you may want to skip this one and do something much simpler. Maybe look for an Open-Source Project that has a Desktop-API for you to work on.

Hey there. I haven't seen you yet but, welcome to CodeForum.org!

Anyways, as for your Question...

At first, I thought Spotify was built on something like Electron. But after looking at their Careers that are available, it appears that they do use Java for some of their stuff so that's something.

But, it appears that Spotify only has a Web-API and not a native Desktop-API. So, if you wanted to use an API then you're unfortunately, out of luck. Secondly, Spotify is Proprietary-Software. So, if you wanted to figure out how to control the Desktop-Program and make Mods for it, you'd need access to the Source-Code. Unfortunately, only Spotify has access to this Source-Code so learning Spotify's Code to try and modify it is essentially impossible and you'd need to work there just to get access to that Source-Code.

But, if you did work there and you modified that Source-Code and released a Modified-Version of Spotify to the world or only used it for Personal-Use, you'd probably be fired.

I think you may want to skip this one and do something much simpler. Maybe look for an Open-Source Project that has a Desktop-API for you to work on.

Thank you for your reply!!! :) thats right I am new at this page... you said i have to have access to the spotify code but i saw some python examples which use the point between the communication of the webplayer and the desktop-program to manipulate the way of information. or something like that... they used some localhost services for it.. but i dont know how... :(

Last edited:

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom