Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Sincere Career Advice Needed

sallu110

Coder
Hello everyone!
So today I will be asking some very important questions which many others might relate to. Your advice might influence my decision so its a request to answer this if you have reasonable amount of experience in the IT industry.
My short intro:
I am 26 year old. Completed my Bachelors in Cs with a cgpa 2.8/4 in July and now doing job as an ASE at an onsite company. As my degree started I was struggling in coding. So it was fear of failing subjects and other factors too which didn't allow me to build good coding practices and strong foundation. I also think that I am naturally a slow learner when it comes to grasping technical stuff. Still I worked hard in university, failed some subjects like Data Structures and Assembly Language. Apart from this I am excellent in communication skills and have got A grades in all such subjects. Presenting technical things in a fine manner is my biggest strength I believe. The reason I choose this career was the job security. I got job offer even before graduation and am earning a good salary as a fresher.
Problems I am facing now:
Since I didn't developed myself as a good coder at University, I am facing problems now. Debugging the code and then getting errors again and again, not completing tasks on time , all of this frustrates me and reminds me that I am just not good enough for this career.
I believe that at least 1 thing is required as a developer. Either you are passionate in solving problems and debugging the errors OR you are technically very strong.
Options I have right now :
1) Continue to stick in this field. Utilize weekends and do work till late night to solve the problems been given in the projects. Improve coding practice in free time by platforms like Leetcode etc.
2) Learn frameworks like React during the weekends. Make good amount of projects by my own and then apply for React jobs(abundant jobs)
2) Work for 1 year at this company and then switch to QA job and then move abroad for better opportunities.
3) Work for 1 year at this company and then switch to Business Analyst job and move abroad for better opportunities.
Important conclusion:
Important thing is that you must enjoy at least 75% of your time at work. Otherwise I don't think its worth it. My gut feeling is that I would be a very good fit in business analyst job but job ratio in my country is very less so I would have to shift abroad.
Looking forward for your advises.

I am not in the IT world or from the developer world. I am far from it. I spent 30+ years as employee, only used "sick leave" twice in those 30 years, all because I look forward to going to my job! I loved doing what I did. I think often times, people chose a line of work for the "perks", the security etc., but remember you are going to be in a job for a long time and if you don't love it, its a long haul! Find your passion and pursue it, its really the key to a much happier and healthier you. I wish you all the luck in your search for answers!

I am not a professional programmer and may never be, but my advice is get some exercise, sit comfortably (or use a reclining chair), avoid sitting too long, and avoid carpel tunnel. Everything else is secondary.

I am not in the IT world or from the developer world. I am far from it. I spent 30+ years as employee, only used "sick leave" twice in those 30 years, all because I look forward to going to my job! I loved doing what I did. I think often times, people chose a line of work for the "perks", the security etc., but remember you are going to be in a job for a long time and if you don't love it, its a long haul! Find your passion and pursue it, its really the key to a much happier and healthier you. I wish you all the luck in your search for answers!
that's the other important point to make, don't work for the money or worker compensation, enjoy your job. People who find jobs they like are lucky, but that's no excuse to damage yourself or betray your principals for social status.

People who enjoy programming look at it like a creative puzzle, people who program for the money alone are just miserable and unhealthy. If you don't like programming, there are still lots of different kinds of jobs related to computers you can find, and you can still do things that aren't related to computers but you might have to try a little harder to get someone to hire you.
Important thing is that you must enjoy at least 75% of your time at work. Otherwise I don't think its worth it. My gut feeling is that I would be a very good fit in business analyst job but job ratio in my country is very less so I would have to shift abroad.
Looking forward for your advises.
A really big thing in the job market is to understand the companies that you will be working for: ask lots of questions. Otherwise, you might get hustled into signing up for something that will hurt you. It really doesn't matter much that you failed data structures and assembly language, hardly anyone likes assembly language anyway...the important thing is whether you want to spend your days programming, and 75% enjoy rate might not even be enough. Sorry that i can't tell you more my main experience is in grunt work and real estate, good luck!

If I were you, I would pay attention to medicine. For example, Bioengineers deal with living systems and apply advanced technologies to solve medical problems.
They participate in the creation of devices and equipment, in the development of new procedures based on interdisciplinary knowledge, and in research aimed at obtaining new information to solve new problems. As a Surgical Technologist is a surgeon's right-hand man, a bioengineer is probably the best version of a programmer, and this is a very popular profession.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom