Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

    GIF shows where to locate </> in the thread and or post editor toolbar.
    To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, review our "How to post your code into threads" here.

    Thank you, Code Forum.

PHP Unsure how to handle a string with mixed quotes

dave0matic

New Coder
Hello!

I ran into this situation that I've never seen before and I'm rather at a loss on how to handle it

PHP:
$s = "Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, "Backup, I'll cut you!"";

This will NOT pass the syntax check because of the mixed quotes in the string.

Even tried concatenating quotes to the beginning and end

PHP:
$s = """ . "Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, "Backup, I'll cut you!" . """;

So how does one use this? Still surprised that I haven't had this problem ever occur before!

Thank you for any help/tips/tricks!

Regards,

Dave
 
Hello!

I ran into this situation that I've never seen before and I'm rather at a loss on how to handle it

PHP:
$s = "Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, "Backup, I'll cut you!"";

This will NOT pass the syntax check because of the mixed quotes in the string.

Even tried concatenating quotes to the beginning and end

PHP:
$s = """ . "Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, "Backup, I'll cut you!" . """;

So how does one use this? Still surprised that I haven't had this problem ever occur before!

Thank you for any help/tips/tricks!

Regards,

Dave

Hey Dave, as TimB said above, you can use escapes (backslash) so the quotations are ignored and don't interfere.

PHP:
$s = "Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, \"Backup, I'll cut you!\"";
$s2 = 'Based on an image I found. Hopefully it says, "Backup, I\'ll cut you!"';
In my example, you can see that $s2 shows you that you can use the single quotes for the string and just escape the single quote in I'll, or in the first example we just escape the double quotes!
 
Back
Top Bottom