Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What IDE do you use for development?

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Code Plus
Company Plus
I'm still trying a whole wack of IDE's to see which one suits me best. Right now I'm kinda liking Visual Studio but don't mind using Sublime and Atom.

What about you?

I used Visual Studio in the past but it is really a big program and there are more functions that I have not used yet hence I moved to Emeditor and Notpad++, they are pretty good tool to make codes and helping my work become faster :)

I used Visual Studio in the past but it is really a big program and there are more functions that I have not used yet hence I moved to Emeditor and Notpad++, they are pretty good tool to make codes and helping my work become faster :)
Visual Studio is a massive program for sure! 

I've worked with Notepad++, but never with Emeditor. What's the difference?

Emeditor is a paid software while notepad++ is a free source code.

Both are good but I came with Emeditor first thus I am more familiar with this tool.
I'll have a look! What's special about Emeditor?

On Windows, I've used Eclipse and Visual Studio. They're both great but Eclipse can sometimes be a nightmare.

Since I'm back on GNU/Linux, I currently use GNU/EMACS for Programming. I'm not sure if I will go back to an IDE.

I'm now a faithful, EMACS User.

It has taken me sometime to learn and get used to all of the Commands though. Of course, I still have a bunch of other Commands to learn. I used to use the GUI-Version of EMACS but just this week, I've switched to the Terminal-Version and I actually prefer using it in Terminal rather than the GUI-Version.

I also seem to now prefer Text-Editors now. I used to prefer IDEs but overtime, just seemed to have swapped them out for Text-Editors. Unlike an IDE where you literally Compile and run the Code inside the IDE, Text-Editors don't have their own Compiler. Instead, you just open up Terminal and Compile your Files from there which in my opinion, is a lot better than running the Code inside of an IDE. Not to mention, it also gives you an idea of how your Code will run outside of an IDE and on an actual system.

Atom for PHP/JS
Dreamweaver for HTML, but mostly Notepad++ is sufficient
TeXmaker TeXstudio for LaTeX
Notepad++ as editor

//Edit
I exchanged the TeXmaker for TeXstudio because it is more configurable and you can create macros which work together with git.

Last edited:
I used Sublime for more simple edits that I have to make. But I mostly use PHPStorm for bigger things.

I don't really have a favorite IDE at the moment... My favorite TEXT EDITOR though is Atom. It's nice because it can be customized a lot, and it has cool plugins already made. It also supports a lot of different languages. I also enjoy it because you can "Open a folder" to automatically have all the project files in the left sidebar... You can also split the files on your screen to show 1 file on the left, and 1 on the right. You can also show the same file more than once, so you can edit the top of the file on the left of your screen, and the bottom of the file on the right... or however you "split" the files up on your screen. It's nice for large files.

Of course, many of these features are common with various editors, and it's not an IDE, but it does everything I need. I pretty much only work with PHP/JS/HTML/PYTHON, so I don't need a full blown IDE with run & debug functions.

1571984264400.png
[CODE title="Git Pull"]
%SCRIPT
dialog = new UniversalInputDialog()
dialog.setWindowTitle("Git push")
dialog.add("master", "Branch", "branch")
if (dialog.exec() != null) {
branch = dialog.get("branch")
buildManager.runCommand("git pull origin \"" + branch +"\"", editor.fileName())
}[/CODE]
[CODE title="Git Commit"]%SCRIPT
dialog.setWindowTitle("Git commit / push")
dialog.add("Committed by TeXstudio", "Comment", "comment")
dialog.add(true, "Commit all Files","allfiles")
comment = dialog.get("comment")
if ((dialog.get("allfiles")) == true){
buildManager.runCommand("git commit -a -m \"" + comment + "\"", editor.fileName())
}else{
buildManager.runCommand("git commit " + editor.fileName() + " -m \"" + comment + "\"", editor.fileName())
}
}[/CODE]
[CODE title="Git Push"]%SCRIPT
dialog.setWindowTitle("Git push")
dialog.add("master", "Branch", "branch")
branch = dialog.get("branch")
buildManager.runCommand("git push origin \"" + branch +"\"", editor.fileName())
}[/CODE]

Last edited:
There are differences between code editors and IDEs.

If you are looking for a good code editor, Notepad++ should work well for most languages, but if you want an IDE, I'd recommend Visual Studio Code. It is packed with a lot of powerful features and also comes with plug-in support. Atom is also a very good alternative.

In case you are working with or editing large files, and those IDEs become laggy, switch to Sublime Text. No editor is able to beat Sublime at speed!

Also, the language you work with matters. Always check IDEs specially designed for your language, like WebStorm for JavaScript and PHPStorm for PHP etc.. They will help you become more productive with their language specific features.

There are differences between code editors and IDEs.

If you are looking for a good code editor, Notepad++ should work well for most languages, but if you want an IDE, I'd recommend Visual Studio Code. It is packed with a lot of powerful features and also comes with plug-in support. Atom is also a very good alternative.

In case you are working with or editing large files, and those IDEs become laggy, switch to Sublime Text. No editor is able to beat Sublime at speed!

Also, the language you work with matters. Always check IDEs specially designed for your language, like WebStorm for JavaScript and PHPStorm for PHP etc.. They will help you become more productive with their language specific features.
Yes, that's an important distinction.
A lot of people here are using text editors, not IDEs.

Yes, that's an important distinction.
A lot of people here are using text editors, not IDEs.
To think about it and look into it, you're right. A lot of people......Seem to use Text-Editors.

I think it's mainly because:
  1. There are more Web-Developers here than Software-Developers.
  2. Text-Editors are more lightweight, faster and easier to use than IDEs.
  3. They support more stuff(Languages, Themes, Plug-Ins etc.)
Those are really just my guesses as to why a lot of us here seem to use Text-Editors over IDEs.

I myself, also use and prefer Text-Editors over IDEs. I currently use EMACS. I was planning on switching to Vi/Vim, but due to how Vi has different Modes(You need to press Esc to get into a Command-Mode and i to actually start writing Code), it proved to be too annoying for me. I just prefer EMACS and it's Commands.

For me, I use PHPStorm day-to-day.
When I'm working with JS I've now switched to VSCode (where before I did everything in PHPStorm).

There are too many features for me that are essential for a good development workflow and by the time I've supplemented those things with plugins in Vim / Sublime I might as well just use an IDE.

I use Vim when I'm working in the terminal. Sublime for general text editing.

For me, I use PHPStorm day-to-day.
When I'm working with JS I've now switched to VSCode (where before I did everything in PHPStorm).

There are too many features for me that are essential for a good development workflow and by the time I've supplemented those things with plugins in Vim / Sublime I might as well just use an IDE.

I use Vim when I'm working in the terminal. Sublime for general text editing.
Interesting. Have you tried other JetBrains products for JS ?

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom