Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WebWareBox Going Under Heavy Re-Write, WebWareBox As Software And A WebWareBox Website

D

Dan-Kode

Hey there, everyone.

As of today, I'd just like to say that WebWareBox has just started undergoing a heavy Re-Write. Now, you're probably wondering as to why a Re-Write is going on. Well, let me explain.

So most of this has to do with the Site's Design. For one, it is extremely out-dated. Secondly, the Colours are enough to burn your eyes and on one Page, the Buttons have Special-Effects were all of the other Pages don't. Those are the problems with the Site's Design.

This Re-Write will give us the chance to give WebWareBox a whole new Look and Feel and make it look a bit more clean and modern. The Re-Write will also let us Re-Organize the Site's File-Directories. During the Re-Write though, all of the other Tasks and anything else being worked on will be put on hold until the Re-Write is finished.

Now onto the next part which is WebWareBox as a piece of Downloadable-Software.

Now as to what this means, think of Forum-Software like SimpleMachinesForum or XenForo. They are pieces of Downloadable-Software that you can install for your Site. This is the direction we want to take WebWareBox in.

Making WebWareBox as a piece of Downloadable-Software will not only restrict it to one Website. It can open-up to more Websites that will provide other things other than Software such as Video Game Mods. It will also allow Programmers to make Themes and Modifications that people who use the WebWareBox-Software can use.

This Conversion from a single Website to Open-Source Software shouldn't be too difficult. This Conversion will also most likely be a Goal for the Re-Write that's currently going on.

Now, relating to the WebWareBox as Software Plan, is a Website dedicated to WebWareBox.

This Website will be the home for WebWareBox. Here, you'll get News on the latest Updates for the Project, a Page that gives you access to the WebWareBox-Software Packages, a Homepage that displays the News and Link to the GitHub Page and an About Page that goes over what WebWareBox is.

This Website will be hosted using the GitHub Pages Service provided by GitHub themselves.

Once we're done with the Re-Write, we'll make an Update Post alerting you for when you can continue Contributing to the Project again.

See you soon!

-

@OscarDeer

I am willing to contribute an older user dashboard to the project.
It won't be the one I showed you in private message, but I can send along a copy of an older single sign on dashboard. It's empty inside, but allows users to register/login and view a secure dashboard. From there you could develop the software upload page, package edit form, delete ability, and the public display page. I wanted to contribute the software version in use on the Nerdi Free Resources page and the web portal, but could not get permission due to the sheer amount of code that is used in our private portals for clients. It just isn't possible to release it in an open source project without compromising our ability to maintain commercial use/ownership over it for eternity.

Thank you for the Offer, @Ghost.

I'm not bothered at all if it isn't the one that you showed me. Although, to be honest, I'd prefer that all of the Code was written from the ground-up and everything developed by hand inside the Repository.

If I do happen to be interested in it, I'll message you.

Thanks again for the Offer though.

Thank you for the Offer, @Ghost.

I'm not bothered at all if it isn't the one that you showed me. Although, to be honest, I'd prefer that all of the Code was written from the ground-up and everything developed by hand inside the Repository.

If I do happen to be interested in it, I'll message you.

Thanks again for the Offer though.
No problem! That makes sense that you would want it from the ground up :)
If you do want to use it, it's up here: https://github.com/NerdiOrg/OldDashboard

It literally just lets you log in as Admin / create new users / view user list (no edit/delete features)...
You can also register from public page & log in, which shows you the user dashboard (no edit/delete account features).

It's very primitive, but you are free to use it if you wish :)
PLEASE BE AWARE that there are several security vulnerabilities in its current form. It should only be used as reference, or as a baseline with heavy testing & modifications.

Last edited:
Make the website look like it’s made in 2020. Futuristic.
Hey, @Weboogle.

While we would love WebWareBox to look like todays Websites, that would take a lot of Programming to do. Creating the Effects, Positioning everything and trying to adjust for other Devices is not an easy task. That's why the Project is Open-Source. It's so you can contribute your own Code that will do things such as Effects and adjust for other Devices like Smartphones.

But that's what the Re-Write is for. It's so it gives us a chance to actually try and modernize the Site and not make it look so out-dated. Now unfortunately, I do believe that @Malcolm is quite unhappy with me at the moment for immediately going ahead with the Re-Write without consulting him before-hand. So I'm going to try and work this out before any further Development of the Re-Write continues. I do believe the both of us also need to further discuss WebWareBox as a piece of Software and the Website in which you download the WebWareBox Software from.

But going back to what you said, right now, we cannot make the Site look like every other Website right now. Now that isn't to say that WebWareBox won't look modern. It will look modern. We just need more Contributors and Programmers for us to actually make the Site look modern and up-to-date.

Hey everyone.

Just figured that I'd say that if you have any Questions regarding:
  • The WebWareBox Re-Write
  • WebWareBox as Software
  • And the WebWareBox Website
feel free to ask. I'm open to any Questions regarding these things and I'll try my best to answer them.

Thank you.

-

@OscarDeer

What type of features would you want to see on something like this? Not saying it will happen, but I am curious :)

Well, seeing as we're planning WebWareBox to become a piece of Downloadable-Software that you can use on your Site, we're also building a Website that will be home to it. That Website is powered by GitHub Pages. I don't want to have @Malcolm pay extra cash for a Sub-Domain dedicated to one Project. If more and more Sub-Domains appeared under CodeForum.org, @Malcolm would probably be paying really expensive Hosting-Bills and I do not want him to pay an extra £15 just for a Sub-Domain for a small Project.

And as @Ghost said, we'd really like to know what sort of Features you'd like to see. Of course, we can't say for certain that they'll be added but just to give us an Idea of what we could add.

Well, to be fair it shouldn't cost Malcolm a single penny to have a subdomain unless his hosting specifically charges for that.
Generally once you buy a domain, you can have hundreds or thousands of subdomains for free with your hosting. You just have to pay for the resources used.

Oh, I never knew that :p

Although, to be honest, I think WebWareBox should still be a seperate Site from CodeForum.org unless @Malcolm wants to host it under the Domain.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom