Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

C++ What would be an easy program to build with C++?

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Code Plus
Company Plus
Hi guys,

I'm currently learning C++ and I'm kinda wondering what I should build to practice my C++. I know it shouldn't be too complex or I'll never finish it but I'm not sure what to build, I was thinking of a calculator or even a notepad but would that be too much? Any ideas?

I was thinking if I got into this a good program to build would be a domain name scanner to scan for expired domains when they expire and then you could buy them. I currently use a site designed for that but would be a nice program to get some practice with. Unity is also a good way to practice as mentioned above

Create a program that will check a web page and if a very specific secret code is on the page, the C++ program will start removing files. Could be used to protect a computer, but don't use it on a computer that truly matters just in case you mess up or need to test it out... Would also help if the C++ program automatically killed things off if it goes without an internet connection for X days or if the website that can have the secret code is not available for X days.

Edit:
Sorry, nothing easy about this one

Last edited:
My first C++ I created to practice my newly found knowledge, was something to calculate BMI of a person
Interesting, I might do this!

Create a program that will check a web page and if a very specific secret code is on the page, the C++ program will start removing files. Could be used to protect a computer, but don't use it on a computer that truly matters just in case you mess up or need to test it out... Would also help if the C++ program automatically killed things off if it goes without an internet connection for X days or if the website that can have the secret code is not available for X days.

Edit:
Sorry, nothing easy about this one
I'll probably try this when I'm more advanced :D

One thing that I think will get you and possibly anybody else settled into C++, will be by making an extremely basic calculator program that gets executed in terminal.

By creating a basic calculator program, you'll be practicing your: input and output(Get what the user's inserted and then return the end result by printing it); functions(Because, if you were to do all of this in just the main(void) function, it would just ruin the structure and cleanliness of your program); and of course, you'll also be practicing your conditional-statements(If-Statements, switches, and ternary operators).

I just remembered ony of my uni assignments:

Convert an integer to its word form. eg. 1 - >"one", 10 -> "ten", 56 -> "fifty six", 2472 - "two thousand four hundred and seventy two".
I think our range was from 0 to 99,999, but you can set the limit.

There's also a variation I saw recently elsewhere: convert a number to its roman numeral equivalent.

One thing that I think will get you and possibly anybody else settled into C++, will be by making an extremely basic calculator program that gets executed in terminal.

By creating a basic calculator program, you'll be practicing your: input and output(Get what the user's inserted and then return the end result by printing it); functions(Because, if you were to do all of this in just the main(void) function, it would just ruin the structure and cleanliness of your program); and of course, you'll also be practicing your conditional-statements(If-Statements, switches, and ternary operators).
May have gotten a little crazy with calculators...
And one more coming...

I just remembered ony of my uni assignments:

Convert an integer to its word form. eg. 1 - >"one", 10 -> "ten", 56 -> "fifty six", 2472 - "two thousand four hundred and seventy two".
I think our range was from 0 to 99,999, but you can set the limit.

There's also a variation I saw recently elsewhere: convert a number to its roman numeral equivalent.
Ohh that actually sounds pretty interesting, do you have any more information on it?

Master Yoda said:
May have gotten a little crazy with calculators...
Whoops. My apologies. I had actually forgotten that you had already made two calculators, only to realise after making the post.

But, I have got an even better idea. Try your hand at making a small text, RPG. It doesn't need to have complex features like a character-creator(Although, that'd be quite cool to put in). It can just contain something like dialogue, being able to traverse through different towns(Or rooms, if you set it in something like a dungeon), and a basic combat-system.

This can actually be done in both C and C++ or if you choose to do so, both languages(Note that this will make the code harder to debug, as C++ is a more bloated and heavier language than what C is. Not to mention that both have completely different purposes and are designed for different things).

When doing this, you'll learn and practice: functions; strings(And other data-types); classes(If you choose to do all of it or some of it in C++); the terminal(As it's a text-adventure); and even basic game-design.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom